Re: Gospel of Judas on nationalgeographic.com

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
      <willker@...> wrote:

      > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
      >

      > Best wishes
      > Wieland
      > <><
      > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
      > mailto:willker@...
      > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
      > Textcritical commentary:

      There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
      documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
      now...

      http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

      Enjoy!
      Eeyore
    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "mr.scrivener"
        <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

        > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        > <willker@> wrote:
        > >

        > > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
        > >

        > > Best wishes
        > > Wieland
        > > <><
        > > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        > > mailto:willker@
        > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        > > Textcritical commentary:
        > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
        > >
        > There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a
        good
        > documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
        > now...

        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

        > Enjoy!
        > Eeyore

        Footnote:
        I found another site that has even better images of some alternate
        fragments of Judas here:

        http://www.geocities.com/gospelofstjudas/images.html

        They seem to be a society who are doing an archaeological dig.

        Have fun
        Eeyore
      • Peter Kirby
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2006
          On 4/8/06, mr.scrivener <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

          Footnote:
          I found another site that has even better images of some alternate
          fragments of Judas here:

          http://www.geocities.com/gospelofstjudas/images.html

          They seem to be a society who are doing an archaeological dig.

          Have fun
          Eeyore

          I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax.  You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:

          http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html

          Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery.  They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever."  Heh.

          regards,
          Peter Kirby
        • g_gardner1234
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2006
            Eeyore stated:

            There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
            documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
            now...

            http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

            Gene:

            Thanks for the link. Bart Ehrman, who was part of the translation
            team, and who sometimes posts on this forum, was quoted in the press
            as saying that the gospel of Judas was "genuine ancient Christian
            literature". I was comptemplating how this codex could be viewed as
            such, in light of the fact that a large ankh symbol is found near the
            bottom of one of the pages.(the ankh being an occultic/mystical symbol
            of ancient Egypt. Would Christians mark their documents using this symbol?

            http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/04/06/imageWX10404061742.jpg

            <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

            > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
            > <willker@> wrote:
            > >

            > > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
            > >

            > > Best wishes
            > > Wieland
            > > <><
            > > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
            > > mailto:willker@
            > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
            > > Textcritical commentary:
            > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
            > >
            > There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
            > documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
            > now...
            >
            > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images
            >
            > Enjoy!
            > Eeyore

          • Ben Davidson
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2006
              OMG!   I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
              First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
              I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a glance at first.
              Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more such hoaxes?
              I am not encouraging anyone.  The only one I can think of is Morton Smith
              and the Secret Gospel of Mark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
              still out on that one.  I guess I should have seen a 'Judas' thing coming,
              but how many have there actually been?  almost none?

              regrets and apologies,
              Eeyore...

              Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:

              I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax.  You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:

              http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html

              Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery.  They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever."  Heh.

              regards,
              Peter Kirby

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Bart Ehrman
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                ANd very interesting. The best resources are the books just now published
                by National Getographic.

                -- Bart Ehrman

                On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Ben Davidson wrote:

                > OMG! I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
                > First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
                > I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a glance at first.
                > Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more such hoaxes?
                > I am not encouraging anyone. The only one I can think of is Morton Smith
                > and the Secret Gospel of Mark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
                > still out on that one. I guess I should have seen a 'Judas' thing coming,
                > but how many have there actually been? almost none?
                >
                > regrets and apologies,
                > Eeyore...
                >

                > Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:
                >
                > I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax. You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:
                >
                > http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html
                >
                > Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery. They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever." Heh.
                >
                > regards,
                > Peter Kirby

                > http://mail.yahoo.com
              • g_gardner1234
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                  Here are some of the issues that I view as problematic in labeling the
                  Gospel of Judas as "an early Christian writing". First of all the
                  codex available for review is written in Coptic, not Greek. If it is a
                  copy of the earlier Greek text referred to by Iraneus of Lyons (180
                  ce) as some have alluded, then I would like to see some solid evidence
                  presented that actually substantiates this. If anyone could direct me
                  towards those resources, I would greatly appreciate it. The theology
                  taught in the codex clearly goes against first century Jewish thought,
                  as well as much earlier writings from the Hebrew scriptures about
                  creation and such. When compared to the canonical Gospels, there are
                  contradictions that are quite evident. The "gospel" that is being
                  taught in this writing appears to be clearly gnostic and dualistic, so
                  it is evident why, if this is a copy of the original, the early church
                  fathers rejected it during it's first review. Since the gnostic
                  movement arose in the middle second century, I am not sure how this
                  writing would be influential when the foundations of the early
                  Christian movement was forming in the first century. A better label
                  for this codex might be "coptic gnostic" in my opinion. I also must
                  admit that I find the timing for the release of this translation
                  (Easter season) to be a bit questionable. With all of the press that
                  the Da Vinci codes have gotten recently with the lawsuit and such, the
                  surrounding fanfare that has been showered on the Gospel of Judas
                  lends itself to the appearance of a well thought out marketing
                  strategy rather than the release of groundbreaking textual news. In my
                  opinion, this gnostic codex sheds about as much light on the factual
                  truth of the Christian story as the Nag Hammadi texts did, which is
                  little to none.

                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:

                  > The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                  > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                  > ANd very interesting. The best resources are the books just now
                  published
                  > by National Getographic.
                  >
                  > -- Bart Ehrman
                  >

                  > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Ben Davidson wrote:
                  >
                  > > OMG! I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
                  > > First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
                  > > I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a
                  glance at first.
                  > > Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more
                  such hoaxes?
                  > > I am not encouraging anyone. The only one I can think of is
                  Morton Smith
                  > > and the Secret Gospel of M

                  ark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
                  > > still out on that one. I guess I should have seen a 'Judas'
                  thing coming,
                  > > but how many have there actually been? almost none?
                  > >
                  > > regrets and apologies,
                  > > Eeyore...
                  > >

                  > > Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is
                  a hoax. You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide
                  for yourself:

                  > > http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html
                  > >
                  > > Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up
                  a website claiming a discovery. They also declare that they take "no
                  responsibility, ever." Heh.

                  > > regards,
                  > > Peter Kirby

                  > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • Daniel Buck
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                    Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:
                    >> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                    around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.

                    -- Bart Ehrman
                    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>

                    I agree. . . to an extent.

                    Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                    which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                    carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                    sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                    mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                    of trust in late editions of his works).

                    However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                    anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                    charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                    whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                    is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                    those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                    paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.

                    Daniel Buck
                  • Bart Ehrman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                      I'd suggest you read the scholarship already available, which deals with
                      just these issues. You'll find four relevant essays in the book National
                      Geographic has released, called The Gospel of Judas. The essays are by
                      Rodolphe Kasser (editor of the text), Gregor Wurst (co-editor), Marvin
                      Meyer (English translator), and me (an add-on). Leaving me out of the
                      equation, I think you'll recognize that we're dealing with the top
                      scholars in the world of Coptology, with impeccable credentials on the
                      early Christian literature.

                      -- Bart Ehrman

                    • Bart Ehrman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                        Well, it's of *tremendous* value to the *Coptic* palaeographer, but not
                        so much to one restricted to Greek.

                        -- Bart Ehrman
                        UNC-Chapel Hill

                        On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Daniel Buck wrote:

                        > Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:
                        >>> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                        > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                        >
                        > -- Bart Ehrman
                        > University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>
                        >
                        > I agree. . . to an extent.
                        >
                        > Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                        > which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                        > carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                        > sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                        > mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                        > of trust in late editions of his works).
                        >
                        > However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                        > anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                        > charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                        > whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                        > is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                        > those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                        > paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.
                        >
                        > Daniel Buck
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • James M. Leonard
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006

                          I offer these thoughts with some tentativity, suggesting that the forum members take them more as questions than measured opinion, and asking for correction as necessary....

                          Someone has raised the question as to the appropriateness of labeling GJud as a Christian text.  This whole discussion coincides with the commencement of my own re-reading of Prof. Ehrman's Orthodox Corruption in light of my just completed reading of Prof. Hurtado's incredibly good and comprehensive tome Lord Jesus Christ (Amazon Review ).

                          Preliminarily, we should question the validity of discussing GJud on this forum since I can't imagine how it might possibly contribute to our discipline, except  perhaps in some peripheral matters such as paleography, etc.  However, GJud is thrust upon us, not by media hype, but rather by Prof. Ehrman's rather heightened emphasis on radical diversity in early Christianity.  This emphasis is found both in his Orthodox Corruption and Misquoting Jesus.   Prof. Ehrman writes,

                          Some of these Christian groups insisted that God had created this world; others maintained that the true God had not created this world (which is,  after all, an evil place), but that it was the result of a cosmic disaster.  Some of these groups insisted that the Jewish scriptures were given by the one true God; others claimed that the Jewish scriptures belong to the inferior God of the Jews, who was not the one true God.  Some of these groups insisted that Jesus Christ was the one Son of God who was both completely human and not at all divine; others maintained that he was completely divine and not at all human; and yet others asserted that Jesus Christ was two things--a divine being (Christ) and a human being (Jesus).  Some of these groups believed that Christ's death brought about the salvation of the world; others maintained that Christ's death had nothing to do with the salvation of this world; yet other groups insisted that Christ had never actually died (Misquoting Jesus, 153).

                          I understand that there is a basic diversity in early Christianity, but here Prof. Hurtado provides some often overlooked corrective.  He emphasizes that proto-orthodoxy survived despite, or perhaps precisely because of a "'free market' religious economy in the Christian movement!"  He explains,

                          The claims of proto-orthodox circles to preserve primal Christian traditions can easlity be shown to be simplistic, or at least only partly indicative of what characterized them.  Actually we could say that proto-orthodox Christianity succeeded more than competing versions of faith, and became the generally dominant form of Christian faith precisely by adapting successfully.  Proto-orthodox circles drew upon revered traditions, to be sure [a point well articulated and substantiated by Hurtado inter alia], but they also engaged the issues, circumstances, and settings of the early centuries in their efforts to articulate and promote adherence to their vision of Christian faith.  To succeed as it did, proto-orthodox Christianity had to advocate its beliefs and practices in ways that appealed to comparatively wider circles, and larger numbers of believers, than the alternatives did.  In the earliest period, long before imperial coercion could be brought to bear in favor of this or that doctrinal position, there was a "free-market" religious economy in the Christian movement (520)!

                          And so, much of Prof. Hurtado's book shows how proto-orthodoxy is not merely consonant with first century Christianity, but a natural outgrowth and maturation of earliest Christian thought.

                          In contrast, we are hard-pressed to see anything integrally Christian in the gnostic writings.  Therein we see an alien sophistry sporadically dangled onto sequestered names and figures of Christianity who are otherwise disembodied from their historical, real life settings.  What we don't have is a philosophy properly integrated into a Christian system of thought.  We can't imagine these gnostics as gathering together for worship, expressing their love to Jesus, singing hymns of praise to him, doing Christian ministry, or adhering to their beliefs at the threat of martyrdom.  Instead, we get the impression that these sophists found it convenient to promote their beliefs by attaching them to well-known personages of the church.

                          This discussion is relative to tc because Prof. Ehrman felt compelled to appeal to these pagan pseudo-Christians in his effort to affirm his basic thesis that those who preserved scripture often corrupted it for theological reasons.  The more radically divergent early Christianity was, the greater the impression on the reader that copyists were reactionary and scripture was correspondingly corrupted.  Thus, we get statements from Prof. Ehrman exaggerating the significance of the discovery of GJud.

                          But isn't the existence of radically divergent Christianity largely moot in terms of tc?  After all, gnostics were generally not known for preserving traditions encapsulated in the earliest Christian writings.  They were innovators and reactionaries to tradition, and as such, carry little value in determining the NT text.  This may not be true of all NT apocryphal and patristic writings, but it is especially true of the kinds of writings found in Nag Hammadi generally, and in GJud in particular.

                          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

                          > Bart Ehrman behrman@ wrote:
                          > >> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                          > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                          >
                          > -- Bart Ehrman
                          > University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>
                          >
                          > I agree. . . to an extent.
                          >
                          > Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                          > which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                          > carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                          > sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                          > mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                          > of trust in late editions of his works).
                          >
                          > However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                          > anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                          > charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                          > whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                          > is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                          > those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                          > paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.
                          >
                          > Daniel Buck

                        • g_gardner1234
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                            Bart,

                            Thanks for your reply. If I can find the book at a university library,
                            I will give it a look. For now, let me simplify my line of
                            questioning. Do you believe that it is Christian or gnostic in its
                            content, because to state that it is both Christian and gnostic is
                            like saying that it is a square circle. I looked at the translation,
                            and its content appeared purely gnostic to me, with all of the typical
                            phraseology.The modern Coptic church, who I would assume are the
                            keepers of the Coptic Christian tradition, seem to have a strong
                            aversion to this codex:

                            quote:

                            "We reject any association with the Gospel of Judas or any other
                            Gnostic Texts

                            · The "Gospel of Judas" is one of many "Gnostic non Christian
                            Gospels". It is one of many found in Upper Egypt in a cave in the
                            provincial city of Nag-Hammadi.

                            · The Coptic Orthodox Church is a main stream Christian Church and
                            totally rejects these non-Christian writings.

                            · The use of the Coptic language in a document does not make it
                            necessarily one of our documents. The Coptic language was the native
                            language of all Egyptians, Christians and pagans. Paganism co-existed
                            with Christianity in Egypt till the 5th Century.

                            We suppose the question should be why would the churches suppress
                            these Gnostic gospels? What would be the benefit – Christianity lived
                            and flourished in the midst of the most bloody and violent era 1st,
                            2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Centuries? Who would attempt to challenge the
                            world with a self proclaimed falsified truth?

                            The Gnostic gospels were deemed false by the churches because they
                            were untrue, not historical and have no support from the foundation of
                            the Christian faith - that being the prophecies of the Old Testament.
                            Which incidentally have been endorsed as accurate and true following
                            the discovery made at the valley of Qumran – "The Dead Sea Scrolls" in
                            particular the book of ISIAH the prophet."

                            http://www.coptic.org.au/modules/news/article.php?storyid=288

                            To say that this text is important in reference to the study of the
                            era, language, and writing style of the gnostic group who penned it
                            may have some merit. To state that it is important in reference to the
                            formation of early Christianity and the canon would be a major stretch
                            in my opinion.

                            Gene

                          • xt7rt
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                              --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James M. Leonard"
                              <jmleonardfamily@...> wrote:
                              > But isn't the existence of radically divergent Christianity largely
                              moot
                              > in terms of tc? After all, gnostics were generally not known for
                              > preserving traditions encapsulated in the earliest Christian
                              writings.

                              Isn't that Ehrman's exact point? While the gnostics didn't preserve
                              the text, they provided a point of opposition to the orthodox who
                              _were_ preserving the text?
                            • Bart Ehrman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                                Sorry, but I think we're going to end up talking in circles. If you
                                think Gnostic Christian is a square circle, then you hold to a view of
                                both Gnosticism and Christianity that I simply don't share and that I
                                think is both historically and methodologically problematic and
                                implausible. Many Gnostics *were* Christians (they saw themselves as
                                followers of the true teachings of Christ) just as many Christians were
                                Gnostics (they held that the secret knowledge that Jesus delivered is what
                                brought about salvation, rather than Jesus' death and resurrection). To
                                think otherwise is simply to accept the ideological views handed down from
                                Eusebius (well, Irenaeus at least) -- that is, it is a theological, not a
                                historical, claim, a claim that anyone who holds to a different way of
                                following Christ is not "really" a Christian. The Baptist church on the
                                corner might claim that about the Episcopalian church across the street;
                                but for historians to take that view means living back in the fourth
                                century. In my opinion! But again, I"m not sure this relates directly to
                                the list.

                                --- Bart Ehrman

                              • g_gardner1234
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                                  Bart,

                                  Thank you for your response. I have looked over some of your books and
                                  your explanations of variants found in the Greek texts. I was
                                  wondering if there have been any variants found that would change the
                                  literal meaning of Galatians 1:8-9. I ask this, because according to
                                  these verses, the gnostics would then be considered anathema. If this
                                  reading is correct, then wouldn't it be unlikely that they would have
                                  been viewed as Christian in light of these statements made by Paul, as
                                  he was one of the founding fathers of the Christian faith who wrote a
                                  considerable share of the writings that Christians referenced as their
                                  standard of orthodoxy?

                                  Gene

                                • Roger Pearse
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 21, 2006
                                    Both Epiphanius and Irenaeus refer to a ps.Gospel of Judas as used
                                    by Cainites. Is it certain that these two descriptions refer to a
                                    single document? (i.e. That there is not more than one?)