Gospel of Judas on nationalgeographic.com

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
      http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        <willker@...> wrote:

        > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
        >

        > Best wishes
        > Wieland
        > <><
        > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        > mailto:willker@...
        > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        > Textcritical commentary:

        There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
        documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
        now...

        http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

        Enjoy!
        Eeyore
      • mr.scrivener
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 8, 2006
          --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "mr.scrivener"
          <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

          > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
          > <willker@> wrote:
          > >

          > > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
          > >

          > > Best wishes
          > > Wieland
          > > <><
          > > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
          > > mailto:willker@
          > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
          > > Textcritical commentary:
          > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
          > >
          > There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a
          good
          > documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
          > now...

          http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

          > Enjoy!
          > Eeyore

          Footnote:
          I found another site that has even better images of some alternate
          fragments of Judas here:

          http://www.geocities.com/gospelofstjudas/images.html

          They seem to be a society who are doing an archaeological dig.

          Have fun
          Eeyore
        • Peter Kirby
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 8, 2006
            On 4/8/06, mr.scrivener <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

            Footnote:
            I found another site that has even better images of some alternate
            fragments of Judas here:

            http://www.geocities.com/gospelofstjudas/images.html

            They seem to be a society who are doing an archaeological dig.

            Have fun
            Eeyore

            I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax.  You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:

            http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html

            Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery.  They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever."  Heh.

            regards,
            Peter Kirby
          • g_gardner1234
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2006
              Eeyore stated:

              There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
              documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
              now...

              http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images

              Gene:

              Thanks for the link. Bart Ehrman, who was part of the translation
              team, and who sometimes posts on this forum, was quoted in the press
              as saying that the gospel of Judas was "genuine ancient Christian
              literature". I was comptemplating how this codex could be viewed as
              such, in light of the fact that a large ankh symbol is found near the
              bottom of one of the pages.(the ankh being an occultic/mystical symbol
              of ancient Egypt. Would Christians mark their documents using this symbol?

              http://www.cbsnews.com/images/2006/04/06/imageWX10404061742.jpg

              <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

              > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
              > <willker@> wrote:
              > >

              > > http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/lostgospel/
              > >

              > > Best wishes
              > > Wieland
              > > <><
              > > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
              > > mailto:willker@
              > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
              > > Textcritical commentary:
              > > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/TCG/index.html
              > >
              > There is a site here which has posted actual images and quite a good
              > documentation of the nefarious history of why they are surfacing
              > now...
              >
              > http://www.tertullian.org/rpearse/manuscripts/gospel_of_judas/#images
              >
              > Enjoy!
              > Eeyore

            • Ben Davidson
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2006
                OMG!   I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
                First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
                I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a glance at first.
                Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more such hoaxes?
                I am not encouraging anyone.  The only one I can think of is Morton Smith
                and the Secret Gospel of Mark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
                still out on that one.  I guess I should have seen a 'Judas' thing coming,
                but how many have there actually been?  almost none?

                regrets and apologies,
                Eeyore...

                Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:

                I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax.  You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:

                http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html

                Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery.  They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever."  Heh.

                regards,
                Peter Kirby

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Bart Ehrman
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                  The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                  around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                  ANd very interesting. The best resources are the books just now published
                  by National Getographic.

                  -- Bart Ehrman

                  On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Ben Davidson wrote:

                  > OMG! I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
                  > First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
                  > I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a glance at first.
                  > Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more such hoaxes?
                  > I am not encouraging anyone. The only one I can think of is Morton Smith
                  > and the Secret Gospel of Mark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
                  > still out on that one. I guess I should have seen a 'Judas' thing coming,
                  > but how many have there actually been? almost none?
                  >
                  > regrets and apologies,
                  > Eeyore...
                  >

                  > Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is a hoax. You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide for yourself:
                  >
                  > http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html
                  >
                  > Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up a website claiming a discovery. They also declare that they take "no responsibility, ever." Heh.
                  >
                  > regards,
                  > Peter Kirby

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com
                • g_gardner1234
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                    Here are some of the issues that I view as problematic in labeling the
                    Gospel of Judas as "an early Christian writing". First of all the
                    codex available for review is written in Coptic, not Greek. If it is a
                    copy of the earlier Greek text referred to by Iraneus of Lyons (180
                    ce) as some have alluded, then I would like to see some solid evidence
                    presented that actually substantiates this. If anyone could direct me
                    towards those resources, I would greatly appreciate it. The theology
                    taught in the codex clearly goes against first century Jewish thought,
                    as well as much earlier writings from the Hebrew scriptures about
                    creation and such. When compared to the canonical Gospels, there are
                    contradictions that are quite evident. The "gospel" that is being
                    taught in this writing appears to be clearly gnostic and dualistic, so
                    it is evident why, if this is a copy of the original, the early church
                    fathers rejected it during it's first review. Since the gnostic
                    movement arose in the middle second century, I am not sure how this
                    writing would be influential when the foundations of the early
                    Christian movement was forming in the first century. A better label
                    for this codex might be "coptic gnostic" in my opinion. I also must
                    admit that I find the timing for the release of this translation
                    (Easter season) to be a bit questionable. With all of the press that
                    the Da Vinci codes have gotten recently with the lawsuit and such, the
                    surrounding fanfare that has been showered on the Gospel of Judas
                    lends itself to the appearance of a well thought out marketing
                    strategy rather than the release of groundbreaking textual news. In my
                    opinion, this gnostic codex sheds about as much light on the factual
                    truth of the Christian story as the Nag Hammadi texts did, which is
                    little to none.

                    --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:

                    > The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                    > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                    > ANd very interesting. The best resources are the books just now
                    published
                    > by National Getographic.
                    >
                    > -- Bart Ehrman
                    >

                    > On Sun, 9 Apr 2006, Ben Davidson wrote:
                    >
                    > > OMG! I just looked more closely at their 'translations'.
                    > > First let me apologise to any who wasted their time on that link.
                    > > I am a sucker for images, and I didn't even give xlations a
                    glance at first.
                    > > Actually, now that i think of it, why haven't there been more
                    such hoaxes?
                    > > I am not encouraging anyone. The only one I can think of is
                    Morton Smith
                    > > and the Secret Gospel of M

                    ark...but like all good hoaxes I suppose the jury is
                    > > still out on that one. I guess I should have seen a 'Judas'
                    thing coming,
                    > > but how many have there actually been? almost none?
                    > >
                    > > regrets and apologies,
                    > > Eeyore...
                    > >

                    > > Peter Kirby <peterkirby@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I think this geocities site (though now at gospelofstjudas.com) is
                    a hoax. You can read their "translations" (no originals) and decide
                    for yourself:

                    > > http://www.gospelofstjudas.com/router_page.html
                    > >
                    > > Anyone can collect a few archaeological and mss. photos and put up
                    a website claiming a discovery. They also declare that they take "no
                    responsibility, ever." Heh.

                    > > regards,
                    > > Peter Kirby

                    > > http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Daniel Buck
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                      Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:
                      >> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                      around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.

                      -- Bart Ehrman
                      University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>

                      I agree. . . to an extent.

                      Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                      which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                      carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                      sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                      mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                      of trust in late editions of his works).

                      However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                      anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                      charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                      whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                      is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                      those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                      paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.

                      Daniel Buck
                    • Bart Ehrman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                        I'd suggest you read the scholarship already available, which deals with
                        just these issues. You'll find four relevant essays in the book National
                        Geographic has released, called The Gospel of Judas. The essays are by
                        Rodolphe Kasser (editor of the text), Gregor Wurst (co-editor), Marvin
                        Meyer (English translator), and me (an add-on). Leaving me out of the
                        equation, I think you'll recognize that we're dealing with the top
                        scholars in the world of Coptology, with impeccable credentials on the
                        early Christian literature.

                        -- Bart Ehrman

                      • Bart Ehrman
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                          Well, it's of *tremendous* value to the *Coptic* palaeographer, but not
                          so much to one restricted to Greek.

                          -- Bart Ehrman
                          UNC-Chapel Hill

                          On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Daniel Buck wrote:

                          > Bart Ehrman <behrman@...> wrote:
                          >>> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                          > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                          >
                          > -- Bart Ehrman
                          > University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>
                          >
                          > I agree. . . to an extent.
                          >
                          > Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                          > which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                          > carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                          > sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                          > mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                          > of trust in late editions of his works).
                          >
                          > However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                          > anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                          > charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                          > whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                          > is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                          > those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                          > paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.
                          >
                          > Daniel Buck
                          >

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • James M. Leonard
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006

                            I offer these thoughts with some tentativity, suggesting that the forum members take them more as questions than measured opinion, and asking for correction as necessary....

                            Someone has raised the question as to the appropriateness of labeling GJud as a Christian text.  This whole discussion coincides with the commencement of my own re-reading of Prof. Ehrman's Orthodox Corruption in light of my just completed reading of Prof. Hurtado's incredibly good and comprehensive tome Lord Jesus Christ (Amazon Review ).

                            Preliminarily, we should question the validity of discussing GJud on this forum since I can't imagine how it might possibly contribute to our discipline, except  perhaps in some peripheral matters such as paleography, etc.  However, GJud is thrust upon us, not by media hype, but rather by Prof. Ehrman's rather heightened emphasis on radical diversity in early Christianity.  This emphasis is found both in his Orthodox Corruption and Misquoting Jesus.   Prof. Ehrman writes,

                            Some of these Christian groups insisted that God had created this world; others maintained that the true God had not created this world (which is,  after all, an evil place), but that it was the result of a cosmic disaster.  Some of these groups insisted that the Jewish scriptures were given by the one true God; others claimed that the Jewish scriptures belong to the inferior God of the Jews, who was not the one true God.  Some of these groups insisted that Jesus Christ was the one Son of God who was both completely human and not at all divine; others maintained that he was completely divine and not at all human; and yet others asserted that Jesus Christ was two things--a divine being (Christ) and a human being (Jesus).  Some of these groups believed that Christ's death brought about the salvation of the world; others maintained that Christ's death had nothing to do with the salvation of this world; yet other groups insisted that Christ had never actually died (Misquoting Jesus, 153).

                            I understand that there is a basic diversity in early Christianity, but here Prof. Hurtado provides some often overlooked corrective.  He emphasizes that proto-orthodoxy survived despite, or perhaps precisely because of a "'free market' religious economy in the Christian movement!"  He explains,

                            The claims of proto-orthodox circles to preserve primal Christian traditions can easlity be shown to be simplistic, or at least only partly indicative of what characterized them.  Actually we could say that proto-orthodox Christianity succeeded more than competing versions of faith, and became the generally dominant form of Christian faith precisely by adapting successfully.  Proto-orthodox circles drew upon revered traditions, to be sure [a point well articulated and substantiated by Hurtado inter alia], but they also engaged the issues, circumstances, and settings of the early centuries in their efforts to articulate and promote adherence to their vision of Christian faith.  To succeed as it did, proto-orthodox Christianity had to advocate its beliefs and practices in ways that appealed to comparatively wider circles, and larger numbers of believers, than the alternatives did.  In the earliest period, long before imperial coercion could be brought to bear in favor of this or that doctrinal position, there was a "free-market" religious economy in the Christian movement (520)!

                            And so, much of Prof. Hurtado's book shows how proto-orthodoxy is not merely consonant with first century Christianity, but a natural outgrowth and maturation of earliest Christian thought.

                            In contrast, we are hard-pressed to see anything integrally Christian in the gnostic writings.  Therein we see an alien sophistry sporadically dangled onto sequestered names and figures of Christianity who are otherwise disembodied from their historical, real life settings.  What we don't have is a philosophy properly integrated into a Christian system of thought.  We can't imagine these gnostics as gathering together for worship, expressing their love to Jesus, singing hymns of praise to him, doing Christian ministry, or adhering to their beliefs at the threat of martyrdom.  Instead, we get the impression that these sophists found it convenient to promote their beliefs by attaching them to well-known personages of the church.

                            This discussion is relative to tc because Prof. Ehrman felt compelled to appeal to these pagan pseudo-Christians in his effort to affirm his basic thesis that those who preserved scripture often corrupted it for theological reasons.  The more radically divergent early Christianity was, the greater the impression on the reader that copyists were reactionary and scripture was correspondingly corrupted.  Thus, we get statements from Prof. Ehrman exaggerating the significance of the discovery of GJud.

                            But isn't the existence of radically divergent Christianity largely moot in terms of tc?  After all, gnostics were generally not known for preserving traditions encapsulated in the earliest Christian writings.  They were innovators and reactionaries to tradition, and as such, carry little value in determining the NT text.  This may not be true of all NT apocryphal and patristic writings, but it is especially true of the kinds of writings found in Nag Hammadi generally, and in GJud in particular.

                            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck" <bucksburg@...> wrote:

                            > Bart Ehrman behrman@ wrote:
                            > >> The Gospel of Judas *itself* is no hoax. It is a manuscript from
                            > around 300, a Coptic translation of an original that predates Irenaeus.
                            >
                            > -- Bart Ehrman
                            > University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill>>
                            >
                            > I agree. . . to an extent.
                            >
                            > Unlike many archeological revelations of the past decade, the Codex in
                            > which the GOJ is found is no modern forgery. It has been dated by
                            > carbon-14 and paleography to the 3rd century or so. It shows every
                            > sign of being a translation of the actual Gnostic text of that name
                            > mentioned by Iranaeus in the 2nd century (if we are to put that level
                            > of trust in late editions of his works).
                            >
                            > However, we are probably too far removed from the situation to know
                            > anything further. That the original Gospel of Judas, as Irenaeus
                            > charged, was a pseudopigraphal forgery can be taken for granted. Thus
                            > whether this present document is itself an ancient forgery of the GOJ
                            > is both unknowable and unimportant. However interesting it may be to
                            > those studying the history of Gnosticism, it is of little value to the
                            > paleographer, even less to the New Testament textual critic.
                            >
                            > Daniel Buck

                          • g_gardner1234
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 11, 2006
                              Bart,

                              Thanks for your reply. If I can find the book at a university library,
                              I will give it a look. For now, let me simplify my line of
                              questioning. Do you believe that it is Christian or gnostic in its
                              content, because to state that it is both Christian and gnostic is
                              like saying that it is a square circle. I looked at the translation,
                              and its content appeared purely gnostic to me, with all of the typical
                              phraseology.The modern Coptic church, who I would assume are the
                              keepers of the Coptic Christian tradition, seem to have a strong
                              aversion to this codex:

                              quote:

                              "We reject any association with the Gospel of Judas or any other
                              Gnostic Texts

                              · The "Gospel of Judas" is one of many "Gnostic non Christian
                              Gospels". It is one of many found in Upper Egypt in a cave in the
                              provincial city of Nag-Hammadi.

                              · The Coptic Orthodox Church is a main stream Christian Church and
                              totally rejects these non-Christian writings.

                              · The use of the Coptic language in a document does not make it
                              necessarily one of our documents. The Coptic language was the native
                              language of all Egyptians, Christians and pagans. Paganism co-existed
                              with Christianity in Egypt till the 5th Century.

                              We suppose the question should be why would the churches suppress
                              these Gnostic gospels? What would be the benefit – Christianity lived
                              and flourished in the midst of the most bloody and violent era 1st,
                              2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Centuries? Who would attempt to challenge the
                              world with a self proclaimed falsified truth?

                              The Gnostic gospels were deemed false by the churches because they
                              were untrue, not historical and have no support from the foundation of
                              the Christian faith - that being the prophecies of the Old Testament.
                              Which incidentally have been endorsed as accurate and true following
                              the discovery made at the valley of Qumran – "The Dead Sea Scrolls" in
                              particular the book of ISIAH the prophet."

                              http://www.coptic.org.au/modules/news/article.php?storyid=288

                              To say that this text is important in reference to the study of the
                              era, language, and writing style of the gnostic group who penned it
                              may have some merit. To state that it is important in reference to the
                              formation of early Christianity and the canon would be a major stretch
                              in my opinion.

                              Gene

                            • xt7rt
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "James M. Leonard"
                                <jmleonardfamily@...> wrote:
                                > But isn't the existence of radically divergent Christianity largely
                                moot
                                > in terms of tc? After all, gnostics were generally not known for
                                > preserving traditions encapsulated in the earliest Christian
                                writings.

                                Isn't that Ehrman's exact point? While the gnostics didn't preserve
                                the text, they provided a point of opposition to the orthodox who
                                _were_ preserving the text?
                              • Bart Ehrman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                                  Sorry, but I think we're going to end up talking in circles. If you
                                  think Gnostic Christian is a square circle, then you hold to a view of
                                  both Gnosticism and Christianity that I simply don't share and that I
                                  think is both historically and methodologically problematic and
                                  implausible. Many Gnostics *were* Christians (they saw themselves as
                                  followers of the true teachings of Christ) just as many Christians were
                                  Gnostics (they held that the secret knowledge that Jesus delivered is what
                                  brought about salvation, rather than Jesus' death and resurrection). To
                                  think otherwise is simply to accept the ideological views handed down from
                                  Eusebius (well, Irenaeus at least) -- that is, it is a theological, not a
                                  historical, claim, a claim that anyone who holds to a different way of
                                  following Christ is not "really" a Christian. The Baptist church on the
                                  corner might claim that about the Episcopalian church across the street;
                                  but for historians to take that view means living back in the fourth
                                  century. In my opinion! But again, I"m not sure this relates directly to
                                  the list.

                                  --- Bart Ehrman

                                • g_gardner1234
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 12, 2006
                                    Bart,

                                    Thank you for your response. I have looked over some of your books and
                                    your explanations of variants found in the Greek texts. I was
                                    wondering if there have been any variants found that would change the
                                    literal meaning of Galatians 1:8-9. I ask this, because according to
                                    these verses, the gnostics would then be considered anathema. If this
                                    reading is correct, then wouldn't it be unlikely that they would have
                                    been viewed as Christian in light of these statements made by Paul, as
                                    he was one of the founding fathers of the Christian faith who wrote a
                                    considerable share of the writings that Christians referenced as their
                                    standard of orthodoxy?

                                    Gene

                                  • Roger Pearse
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 21, 2006
                                      Both Epiphanius and Irenaeus refer to a ps.Gospel of Judas as used
                                      by Cainites. Is it certain that these two descriptions refer to a
                                      single document? (i.e. That there is not more than one?)