Isaiah 57:20 (LXX)

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7 1:45 AM
      Dear list,

      I need some help with a passage in the LXX, which is not a field I am
      too familiar with.

      In Isaiah 57:20 the second part of the verse present in the Masoretic
      text is missing in the main part of the LXX tradition. According to
      Ralph's edition, however, the translation of the second part is
      attested in L and O (in Origen's Hexapla it is marked with asterisk):
      καὶ ἀποβάλλεται τὸ ὓδωρ αὐτῆς καταπάτημα καὶ πηλός.

      I have two questions:

      1. Are there any good arguments for this LXX-variant going back to a
      pre-christian revision? (the text is brought closer to the Masoretic?)
      2. Are there any LXX/OG MSS in support of the variant? I don't have
      access to the major critical editions (not in my library), and I lack
      knowledge of recent discoveries, I have only checked Ralph's edition.

      Grateful for any help,

      Tommy Wasserman
      Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
      Lund University
      Sweden
    • Tommy Wasserman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7 9:08 AM
        Dear list,

        For some reason, the second half of the message disappeared (after the
        Unicode Greek part). Here are the questions in connection with the