Re: [textualcriticism] Re: On Swanson and Copyrights

  • Tommy Wasserman
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2, 2006
      Gary wrote

      > Yes I still recommend Swanson, and I have always stated that his work
      > on the gospels thru Acts NEEDS revision!

      This may be irrelevant, but perhaps there is a lesson for us all to
      lear from history; as I remember the initial discussions on the old
      TC-list, you did praise Swanson's work for being very accurate indeed,
      whereas the Nestle-Aland edition in contrast was crowded with errors.
      I also got the impression that Ivo Tamm's work (for the INTF) in
      checking Swanson for errors may in fact have had to do with that very
      critique ("counterstrike") - that only Ivo knows. As time went by, and
      you had a chance to evaluate Swanson's work yourself, you may have
      changed your mind and pointed to the need of revision, which is good. I
      think we all learn from this, which you also point out, that
      independent control from other scholars over time, will tell how an
      edition stands. The day I submit my own edition (of Jude) I will not
      say a word about its accuracy, but I will express my hopes that it will
      stand the test... In any case, I am confident that it contains
      errors...hopefully not too many.

      Tommy Wasserman
      Centre for Theology and Religious Studies
      Lund University
      Sweden