Good photos of Sinaiticus

  • mr.scrivener
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      On the subject of good photos in public domain,

      They have posted the first nine pages of Sinaiticus here:

      http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Biblon/biblon2000.html

      The online bible is rigged to open three windows, one with the
      fascimile of the page along with a 'marker' showing you where you are
      in the text (in the other window).

      This site only seems to work with Windows Exploder, not Firefox (at
      least the code isn't stable enough to open the windows for the mss
      properly...

      Anyway, they have the first nine pages of Matthew (eight chapters!)
      in colour, and these are the best (looks like modern) photos of
      Sinaiticus I have found on the net so far.

      I still haven't found a photo of Sinaiticus for John 7:53-8:12...
      I assume the British Museum project won't be online for *years*....
      (not complaining just observing.)

      The pseudo-facsimiles aren't much use for examining the condition and
      context of variants. If anyone else has a good picture or two of
      Sinaiticus, I'd love to swap what I have.

      If Opus Dei or the Jesuits haven't sent any assassins after anyone, I
      doubt the British will bother, since they are in the process of
      putting high res pics online. At best they might send the SAS around
      as a training exercise. Judging by the performance in Iraq, I doubt
      thats a serious threat.

      Eeyore.