Re: [textualcriticism] Dr. Paris' name

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 22, 2006
      ron minton wrote:
      Someone sent a note to me concerning the problem below.  I am trying
      to find the explanation for the differences in the idenity of Dr.
      Paris, revisor of the third (1762) edition of the KJV.

      Darlow and Moule identify the reviser of 1762 as Dr. Thomas Paris of
      Trinity College.

      A.S. Herbert. Historical Catalogue of Printed Editions of the English
      Bible, 1968, identifies him as Dr. F. S. Paris of Sidney Sussex
      College, Cambridge.

      Any help is appreciated,
      Ron Minton
      Since Herbert can be considered a revision of the English section of Darlow and Moule, it's likely that he has corrected D&M at this point. This is confirmed by David Norton, A textual history of the King James Bible (Cambridge, 2005), who says, "F. S. Parris [spelling in Norton], soon to be Master of Sidney Sussex, checked and proofread the text of the new edition (1743; H1063). At this stage the [Cambridge] Press gave his work no publicity. He continued work on Cambridge Bibles, eventually being chiefly responsible for Bentham's 1762 folio (H1142), where his contribution was recognized." (Norton, p. 140. His footnote refers to McKitterick's history of CUP.)

      Harold Scanlin