RE: [textualcriticism] number of variants in Nestle-Aland (27th e d.)

  • Minton, Ron
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2004
      There are c. 15,250 in the apparatus at the bottom.
      There are a total of 15,291 in NA26&27, UBS3&4, and HF1&2.

      Prof. Ron Minton
      Capital Bible Seminary
      6511 Princess Garden Pkwy
      Lanham, MD 20706
      W 240-387-1274
      C 240-432-8925
      H 301-918-1792

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2004
        Dear Ron,

        Did you count them?

        Pete

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 29, 2004
          P.M. Head wrote:
          > > There are c. 15,250 in the apparatus at the bottom.
          >
          > Did you count them?

          I think before we can come to more exact numbers, we should make sure
          that we speak about the same thing. One should differentiate between
          variation unit and reading. In one variation unit are several readings.
          A variation unit is labeled by a certain sign in the text. The actual
          readings are given at the bottom.

          Logically the number of readings must be at least twice as high as the
          number of variation units. The problem in NA is that for many "txt"
          readings the evidence is not given, so only one reading is noted for one
          variation unit.

          If one assumes that 15.000 readings is correct, and further assuming
          that for about 1/3 of these the txt evidence is not given, one arrives
          at about 10.000 variation units. But there are also variation units with
          more than two readings...

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Minton, Ron
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 29, 2004
            Yes, we (my students and I) have not only counted the variation units, we
            have made many statistical analyses from them. For example, the TR agrees
            with Aleph 7,057 times out of 15,291 or c. 46% of the time. TR agrees with
            Vat. 5,868 out of 13,294 times or c. 44%.

            Prof. Ron Minton
            Capital Bible Seminary
            6511 Princess Garden Pkwy
            Lanham, MD 20706
            W 240-387-1274
            C 240-432-8925
            H 301-918-1792

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 30, 2004
              > Yes, we (my students and I) have not only counted the
              > variation units, we have made many statistical analyses
              > from them. For example, the TR agrees with Aleph 7,057
              > times out of 15,291 or c. 46% of the time. TR agrees with
              > Vat. 5,868 out of 13,294 times or c. 44%.

              So, 15,250 is the number of variation units in NA, or the number of
              readings at the bottom?

              Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
              mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
              http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
            • Minton, Ron
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 1, 2004
                There are c. 15,250 Variation units (not exactly as you noted). Only
                occasionally did HF (with approx. 13,000 VU) have a VU not found in NA. I
                have never counted readings, but it would likely be around 50,000 - 70,000.
                Prof. Ron Minton