Re: [textualcriticism] Metzger's 4th edition

  • Peter M. Head
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 19, 2006
      Some comments from a brief review:

      The unique elements of Metzger’s first three
      editions are maintained: the material on
      manuscripts themselves, the careful description
      of the history of the subject and the
      common-sense approach to the actual practice of
      NT textual criticism in a number of case studies
      (all maintained in this edition). These are now
      also supplemented with additional material
      reflecting recent work: the use of computers,
      descriptions of ongoing projects; and/or Ehrman’s
      own thinking: on methods of determining family
      relationships among manuscripts and, in a whole
      new chapter, on the ‘History of the Transmission
      of the Text of the New Testament’. I assume these
      come predominantly from Ehrman, but this is not
      stated explicitly­according to the preface and
      title page this is a jointly authored book rather
      than a revision of an older book by a new author.
      In general the wording remains that of Metzger
      unless some revision was required, and only in
      the new chapter do we really hear Ehrman’s own voice and emphases.

      Thus one of the best books on the subject now has
      a welcome new lease of life. Not all of the
      revisions are necessarily for the better: the
      photos come out much less clearly than the
      earlier plates, the check-list of Papyri has not
      been included, and the font and general layout
      seem less clear than the earlier editions. There
      is also perhaps some tension between the two
      voices at times; in particular between the
      earlier, rather cautious, discussion of
      ‘Alterations made because of doctrinal
      considerations’ (pp. 265-268, following the
      earlier editions from Metzger) and the later
      discussion of the impact of ‘Doctrinal Disputes
      of Early Christianity’ (pp. 282-287, generally
      following Ehrman’s well-known approach to this
      subject), but it could be argued that this
      tension enhances the value of the book as an
      introduction to the subject as currently practiced.

      Peter