Re: [textualcriticism] Epiphanius of Salamis

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2004
      I know of no evidence that Epiphanius invented documents in order to
      quote from them, which for text-critical purposes is probably the
      important issue. ie documents quoted by Epiphanius are usually ones
      that he believed to be authentic and quoted accurately.

      When Epiphanius is not quoting from documents but telling us what
      he thinks about the groups that used these documents he should be
      taken with caution.

      The status of heretical groups for which Epiphanius presents no
      documentary evidence should also be regarded with caution.

      Stories by Epiphanius about ritual sexual abuse should be
      categorically disbelieved.

      Andrew Criddle