TCG 2006 out!
- TCG 2006
An Online Textual Commentary
on the Greek Gospels
Things have settled a bit. Major changes have not been carried out. Many thanks to all contributors!
Changes to the 3rd edition:
- Added a short 4 pages general discussion of the so called Western non-interpolations as an extra file.
- Added a short file discussing some smaller important papyri, comparable to the file about the fragmentary uncials. This is a work in progress.
- Added P. Williams' comments on certain Syriac attestations in NA from his book: "Early Syriac Translation Technique and the textual criticism of the Greek Gospels", Gorgias Press, 2004
- Added the attestation of the Palestinian Syriac lectionaries from A. Smith-Lewis collation.
- The deviations of Tregelles' text (Greek NT, 1857 ff.) from NA have been incorporated. [Very interesting, it appears that WH probably used Tregelles' GNT as their base text. Tregelles' text (and apparatus) deserves more attention.]
- The readings of J.M.S. Baljon's text from 1898 have also been added. Baljon follows more often 01 (or Tischendorf?) against 03.
- Added the quotations of Basil of Caesarea from the Gospel of Mt (J.F. Racine "The text of Mt in the writings of Basil of Caesarea", Brill, Leiden 2004)
- I have checked and at certain positions expanded the discussion of the papyri in Mt from the new book: Kyoung Shik Min "Die früheste Überlieferung des Matthäusevangeliums (bis zum 3./4. Jh.): Edition und Untersuchung", ANTF 34, Münster 2004, ISBN: 3-11-018281-5).
- Inspired from Jan Krans' work, I have added 6 interesting conjectural emendations.
- I have read the very inspiring work of Alexander Pallis (Notes on St. Mark and St. Matthew 1932, Notes on St. Luke and the Acts 1928, Notes on St. John and the Apocalypse 1926) and added his more important comments into the commentary.
- A major new TC work appeared in 2005, the textcritical commentary on the Gospel of Mark by H. Greeven and E. Güting (768 pages, ISBN 3825868788). I have worked through it and have incorporated all noteworthy things into the commentary. All quotations are my translations.
- The Byzantine text "BYZ" has been corrected at a few points to bring it in line with Maurice Robinson's new 2005 edition.
- A short Principal Component Analysis of the variants in the Longer Ending of Mark (image). It reveals 2427 to be basically Byzantine against C, L.
- A lot of additions, expansions here and there, about 100 new pages, the Luke volume crossed the 500 pages barrier.
Comments, thoughts, literature …
Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany