Re: [textualcriticism] Epiphanius of Salamis

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2004
      Generally speaking, Epiphanius did not create groups to call heresies. He
      admits uncertainty about his information in some cases, but Epiphanius is not
      known as a creative or imaginative writer.

      Stephen Goranson

      Quoting Bruno <Br.Bruno@...>:
      [....]
      > Someone wrote that Epiphanius "invented some heresies" just to be able to
      > refute them.
      [....]
    • sarban
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2004
        I know of no evidence that Epiphanius invented documents in order to
        quote from them, which for text-critical purposes is probably the
        important issue. ie documents quoted by Epiphanius are usually ones
        that he believed to be authentic and quoted accurately.

        When Epiphanius is not quoting from documents but telling us what
        he thinks about the groups that used these documents he should be
        taken with caution.

        The status of heretical groups for which Epiphanius presents no
        documentary evidence should also be regarded with caution.

        Stories by Epiphanius about ritual sexual abuse should be
        categorically disbelieved.

        Andrew Criddle