Re: [textualcriticism] Secret Mark: Madiotes

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2006
      From: "Wieland Willker" <willker@...-bremen.de>
      To: <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, January 08, 2006 9:32 AM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Secret Mark: Madiotes

      > I have received the following private mail, of which I have removed the
      > header:

      > In his catalog, Smith says that the writing on the f.1.r is:
      > 1. M. Madiotes (writing of the 20th century)
      > 2. The monk Dionysios (handwriting of the 19th century)
      > 3. Anobos monk of the Holy Sepulcher (18th century ?)
      > Also in his catalog, Smith says that the final page verso contains "a
      number
      > of notes, of which most concern discussing the great storm in January and
      > February 1779.

      What Smith as translated by Carlson actually says is
      "With them also conforms a number of notes of which most
      concern discussing the great storm in January and February 1779."

      It does not seem clear whether this refers ONLY to the final sheet
      discussed in the preceding sentence or in general to the annotated
      pages at the beginning and end discussed in the preceding several
      sentences.

      It would seem plausible that Smith actually meant that as well as the
      signed notes on the front and back pages there are a number
      of other notes on these pages mainly about the great storm.

      Andrew Criddle