Re: Basic definitions question

  • James M. Leonard
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 4, 2006

      Martin Hengel protests against the direction which some are tacking tc, breaking down disciplinary borders: > >

      >  >

      "Here no sufficiently clear distinction is made between textual criticism, which is founded on the uniquely broad manuscript tradition of the text in antiquity, and modern literary criticism, which investigates behind the text that has been handed down and thus seeks to clarify the origin of the works of New Testament literature which came into being before the manuscript tradition which has come down to us, but as a rule works in a much more hypothetical way than textual criticism, which is based solely on textual evidence and above all on manuscripts.

      >  >

      "K. and B. Aland have given a convincing description of the task and methods of textual criticism, i.e., of the most thoroughgoing restoration possible of the original text.  The borderline between literary criticism and textual criticism runs right through the decisive point at which the Gospels 'begin their literary existence through copies', i.e. from the time when they were deliberately disseminated.  'It [textual criticism] has no access to what there was before this.'  That is the field of literary criticism, with what today are often abundant hypotheses which can no longer be verified; this has become all too much a favourite child of New Testament scholarship" (The Four Gospels and the One Gospel of Jesus Christ, 30).

      >  >

      Hengel goes on to specifically mention Eldon J. Epp's watershed article, "The Multivalence of the Term 'Original Text' HTR 92, 245-81 and Helmut Koester's Ancient Christian Gospels, of which he is dismissive.

      Jim Leonard

      Southwestern Pennsylvania