Re: The Rules

  • James M. Leonard
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006

      Earlier, I mentioned Dr. Fee's interesting interpretation of Bengel's first principle (proclivi scriptioni praestat ardua--"before the easy reading, stands the difficult").  He writes, "Which in my own language goes, 'That reading which best explains how all the others came about is to be preferred as the original.'"  He then states, "No one who takes textual criticism seriously denies that this is indeed the 'first principle'" (God's Empowering Presence, 273).

      Interestingly, Dr. Fee earlier wrote, "It was Griesbach [!] who first spelled out clearly the first principle of textual criticism:  that reading is to be preferred as the original which best explains the existence of all the others" ("Modern Textual Criticism and the Synoptic Problem:  On the Problem of Harmonization in the Gospels" in Studies in the Theory and Method of New Testament Criticism [occuring on the second to last page--can't recall the page number])

      I suppose we are left here with a mental slip, that Dr. Fee, in his later work on Pauline pneumatology, attributed Griesbach's principle to Bengel.

      At any rate, it seems that Dr. Fee has given us an articulate expression of one of Griesbach's critically important principle.

      > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Marlowe"
      > <marlow@t...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Doesn't Fee give a source for the statement? Maybe he's confused Bengel with Griesbach.
      > >
      > > Griesbach expressed the principle as follows in the introduction to his  second edition of the Greek New Testament:
      > >
      > > E pluribus ejusdem loci lectionibus ea praestat, quae velut media inter caeteras interjacet; hoc est ea, quae reliquarum omnium quasi stamina ita  continet, ut, hac tanquam primitiva admissa, facile appareat, quanam
      ratione, seu potius quonam erroris genere, ex ipsa caeterae omnes  propullularint.

      > > "Among many in the same place, that reading is preferable which falls midway  between the others, that is, the one which in a manner of speaking holds together the threads so that, if this one is admitted as the primitive one,
      it easily appears on what account, or rather, by what descent of  errors, all the other readings have sprung forth from it."