Textual Difficulties in Matthew's Geneaolgy, continued

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2005

      The 1560 Geneva Bible lists the following for the last 28 generations of Christ's genealogy:

      Solomon begat Roboam

      Roboam begat Abia

      Abia begat Asa

      Asa begat Josaphat

      Josaphat begat Joram

      Joram begat Ozias

      Ozias begat Joatham

      Joatham begat Achaz

      Achaz begat Ezekias

      Ezekias begat Manasses

      Manasses begat Amon

      Amon begat Josias

      Josias begat Jakim

      Jakim begat Jechonias and his brethren  (14 generations)

      And after they were carried away into Babylon,

      Jechonias begat Salathiel

      Salathiel begat Zorobabel

      Zorobabel begat Abiud

      Abiud begat Eliakim

      Eliakim begat Azor

      Azor begat Sadoc

      Sadoc begat Achim

      Achim begat Eliud

      Eliud begat Eleazar

      Eleazar begat Matthan

      Matthan begat Jacob

      Jacob begat Joseph

      the husband of Mary

      of whom was born Jesus, that is called Christ (14 generations)

      Note how well these last  two sets of 14 generations fit with the first, which is from Abraham to David (inclusive).  But Jakim (Jehoiakim) has been left out all Bibles since (The 1611 KJV had in the margin: "some read: Jakim, and Jakim begot"), so obviously it has been regarded as a scribal insertion from IOAKIM in I Chronicles 3:15.

      What is the support for IWAKEIM in verse 11?

      Von Soden lists:

      33, Theta, f 1, 230, 954, M, 71, I b, U, I P, 265, 1354, 1573, 660, 251, 495, 485, 1604, 661 and "a few others."

      Tischendorf lists M, U, and "at least 30 other MSS."  He also lists the Syriac Harklean and Palestinian versions as support. Both list Irenaeus (the Latin text).

      T & T adds  Sigma,  1342, "at least 168 other mss," and Georgian.

      In addition to these I would list d, which has IOCIM, and D in Luke 3, which has IWAKEIM (Matt 1:11 is practically illegible in D).

      So here we have a reading overwhelmingly supported in the Caesarean text-type, present in the only Greek mss of the Western text-type, and with exceedingly broad support in the Byzantine text-type.  We can easily surmise why IWAKEIM might have been put in by mathematically-minded scribes (whose numbers must have been legion), but what could have made a scribe leave it out, were it in fact original to the text?

      Leaving out the post hoc arguments why Matthew himself may have omitted Jehoiakim in the autograph, the only reason I can come up with was a desire to omit from Joseph's genealogy a person with the same name as Mary's father.

      Anyone have a better idea?