RE: [textualcriticism] The Great Command in the second century

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2005
      The evidence:
      Mt: KARDIA - YUCH - DIANOIA
      Mk: KARDIAS - YUCHS - DIANOIAS - ISCUOS
      Lk: KARDIAS - YUCH - ISCUI - DIANOIA
      LXX: KARDIAS - YUCHS - DUNAMEWS
      (for KARDIAS 03-c reads: DIANOIAS)

      Justin: KARDIAS - ISCUOS (2 times)
      KARDIA - YUCH - DIANOIA (=Mt, once)
      KARDIAS - YUCHS - DIANOIAS - ISCUOS (=Mk, once)
      KARDIAS - YUCH - ISCUI - DIANOIA (=Lk, once)

      Justin is a very problematic witness. We have no idea what text he used.
      Possibly a harmony, possibly some unknown Gospel, perhaps some catechetic
      collection. So, how can one base any judgment of the canonical Gospels on
      it?
      Also, the above words are very susceptible to shortening/variation. As you
      can see, Justin cites them 5 times in 4 different forms. Can you cite them
      correctly by heart? Perhaps Justin had internalized them differently?
      A similar unsound methodology was recently published by W.M.A. Hendriks in
      the Revue Biblique article that I posted. He thinks that in Mt 6:33
      BASILEIA TWN OURANWN is original with Justin and (part of) Clement against
      all. An approach like this is also known from Boismard.
      Generally I think we all agree that in the earliest times a more free use of
      sources was common or even the rule.

      PS: mae-2 reads in Mt: KARDIA - DIANOIA - YUCH

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de