mae 2--The oldest witness to Matthew?

  • James M. Leonard
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 19, 2005
      The editor of mae-2 has concluded that it represents a text from a
      primitive Hebrew version of Matthew. Interestingly, George Howard
      makes similar claims about Shem Tob's 14th century Hebrew Matthew.
      Neither claim seems to be convincing anyone, despite especially
      tenacious efforts by Howard.

      I wonder if Howard is analyzing mae-2 to find any commonality with
      his Shem Tob :)

      But otherwise, mae-2 seems to be an important ms, in that it is
      purported to be the oldest extant ms in any language to much of
      Matthew's gospel.

      Jim Leonard
      Southwestern Pennsylvania

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "feeite_christian"