[textualcriticism] Epiphanius' Panarion

  • Bruno
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
      The Greek text of Epiphanius' Panarion is available on this site:
      http://www.christianhospitality.org/archives.htm
      (among a heap of other works)
      Attention: Epiphanius' files are over 10MB each!

      Epiphanius described several "heresies" and gives examples of changes some of them made in
      their own version of the Scriptures.
      e.g.:
      Panarion 41.
      Samples of Marcion's version of the Gospel according to Luke.

      Panarion 30.
      Samples of the Ebionites' version of the "Gospel of Matthew".

      Maybe that is useful for someone here.

      Greetings,
      Bruno
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
        Thanks for the news. That is indeed handy. And Epiphanius is a quite important
        writer. That website has the Migne edition. It may be worth mentioning that
        Karl Holl's GCS edition, reissued with silght updating by J. Dummer, is in
        various respects a better edition.

        Stephen Goranson

        Quoting Bruno <Br.Bruno@...>:

        > The Greek text of Epiphanius' Panarion is available on this site:
        >
        > http://www.christianhospitality.org/archives.htm
        >
        > (among a heap of other works)
        >
        > Attention: Epiphanius' files are over 10MB each!
        >

        > Epiphanius described several "heresies" and gives examples of changes some of
        > them made in
        >
        > their own version of the Scriptures.
        >
        > e.g.:
        >
        > Panarion 41.
        >
        > Samples of Marcion's version of the Gospel according to Luke.
        >

        > Panarion 30.
        >
        > Samples of the Ebionites' version of the "Gospel of Matthew".
        >

        > Maybe that is useful for someone here.
        >

        > Greetings,
        >
        > Bruno

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • P.M. Head
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2004
          If it is a good Greek text then this is really helpful.

          Peter Head

          On Oct 17 2004, Bruno wrote:

          > The Greek text of Epiphanius' Panarion is available on this site:
          > http://www.christianhospitality.org/archives.htm
          > (among a heap of other works)
          > Attention: Epiphanius' files are over 10MB each!
          >
          > Epiphanius described several "heresies" and gives examples of changes
          > some of them made in their own version of the Scriptures. e.g.: Panarion
          > 41. Samples of Marcion's version of the Gospel according to Luke.
          >
          > Panarion 30.
          > Samples of the Ebionites' version of the "Gospel of Matthew".
          >
          > Maybe that is useful for someone here.
          >
          > Greetings,
          > Bruno
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Bruno
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
            [Request]

            Hello,

            Unfortunately I can't open Epiphanius' files at
            http://www.christianhospitality.org/archives.htm

            I found some different translations of Panarion 30.13.4-5 on the web, and I wonder what
            Epiphanius really wrote.
            Can someone please send me the text of Panarion 30.13. 1-5?
            That's the part about the gospel "of the Ebionites" being forged, and his example of John
            the Baptist eating EGKRIS.
            I would be happy if someone could send me this quote, (maybe as screenshot in a JPEG file
            or scanned?)

            Thanks,

            Br.Bruno @ web.de