Re: [textualcriticism] Ezra-Nehemiah

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2004
      At 11:20 AM 5/13/04 -0400, you wrote:

      Liz,
      I cant answer your question myself but Adrian Schenker, the chief editor of
      Biblia Hebraica Quinta certainly can. He is a warm and personable friend
      and he is always happy to help out whenever he can. His address-

      adrian.schenker@...

      he can communicate in German, French, or English.

      and by the way, congratulations on your commentary! I expect an autographed
      copy!!!!!

      Jim

      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Dr Jim West
      Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
      http://biblical-studies.org Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogpspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog
    • Stephen Goranson
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2004
        There is a little bit of Ezra at Qumran: 4QEzra, edited by E. Ulrich in DJD
        XVI (2000) 291f.

        Stephen Goranson
      • Schmuel
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2004
          Hi textualcriticism

          Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph. D.
          >Hello, I'm Liz Fried and new to this group. I'm in the process of writing a commentary on
          >Ezra-Nehemiah for the Eerdmans Critical Commentary Series. How do I find out what all the different versions are? There does not seem to be a Targum, and I know nothing was found of these books from Qumran. I have 1st Esdras and the LXX, and the Vulgate, and of course the passage from
          >2 Chronicles. How do I find out what else is out there? Is there a Peshitta?

          Schmuel
          Hi Liz, I figgered I would get into this list at the very beginnings !

          As far as I can see, from my limited perspective, you are well on top of these things, keep in mind that the socalled LXX often has a large amount of differentiation between its various competing manuscripts.

          According to the DSS Bible there are three fragments of Ezra-Nehemiah from Ezra 4-6, that almost exactly match the Masoretic Text (four minor variants) .. that at least counts as a good scholarship verification of the text against possible LXX variants :-)

          The Peshitta has all of Tanach.. the folks at www.peshitta.org are very, very helpful in answering questions and sharing information (in my experience, especially Paul Younan and Andrew Gabriel Roth). My (vague) understanding is that we may not have a full English translation other than Lamsa (the Peshitta Tanach is rather neglected, while the NT has more scholarship and translations) And that it is generally a strong witness to the Masoretic Text (and perhaps some extant manuscripts precede the extant MT manuscripts). There are big discussions about degrees of Jewish and Christian involvement in the Peshitta Tanach translation, rather an interesting discussion. Other good references can be found through the "Journal for the Aramaic Bible" http://www.targum.org/ , and the Syriac Institute.. http://www.bethmardutho.org/ as you likely know :-)

          Hope that helps a bit, wish you well on your commentary project ! :-)

          Shalom,
          Steven Avery
          Queens, NY

          Schmuel@...
        • Giuseppe Regalzi
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2004
            Liz Fried wrote:

            > Is there a Peshitta?

            Yes, there is, but it has not yet appeared in the critical edition by the
            Peshitta Institute of Leiden (but the edition of 1[3] Ezra is available:
            Heinrich Schneider, W. Baars and J. C. H. Lebram, The Old Testament in
            Syriac According to the Peshitta Version, IV.6: Canticles or Odes - Prayer
            of Manasseh - Apocryphal Psalms - Psalms of Solomon - Tobit - 1[3] Esdras,
            Leiden, Brill, 1972). So you will have to resort to the images of ms 7a1
            (Codex Ambrosianus), by the Biblical Manuscripts Project:

            http://alpha.reltech.org:8083/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/BibleMSS/7a1

            Also of use:

            C. A. Hawley, A Critical Examination of the Peshitta Version of the Book of
            Ezra (Contributions to Oriental History and Philology, 7), New York 1922;

            C. Moss, "The Peshitta Version of Ezra", Le Muséon 46 (1933) 55-110;

            R. L. Harris, The Peshitta to Nehemiah: A Textual-critical Analysis,
            unpublished diss., Philadelphia 1947.

            BTW, a complete and updated list of the editions of the extant witnesses to
            the Hebrew Bible would be a vary valuable commodity. Does anyone know of
            any project aiming at something like that?

            Best wishes,
            Giuseppe

            Dr Giuseppe Regalzi, DR
            Rome, Italy