Re: [textualcriticism] Modified image of Codex Washingtonensis

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Wieland Willker" <willker@...-bremen.de>
      To: <textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:22 AM
      Subject: [textualcriticism] Modified image of Codex Washingtonensis

      > From the curiosities cabinet:
      > Tetragrammaton in the Codex Washingtonensis?
      > Have a look at:
      > http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm
      >
      > It is the first page of the Gospel of Mark in Codex W 032. For the
      > original image compare:
      > http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/GospelOfMark/
      >

      > Best wishes
      > Wieland
      > <><

      What I find MOST interesting about W Mark is the insert after 16:14:

      "....and they excused themselves saying, "this age of lawlessness and
      unbelief is under Satan who by his unclean spirits does not allow the true
      power of God to be comprehended. Therefore now reveal thy righteousness."
      So they spoke to Christ and Christ addressed them thus: "The limit of the
      years of Satan's authority has been fulfilled, but other terrible things are
      drawing near, even to those sinners on whose behalf I was handed over to
      death, that they may turn to the truth and sin no more. In order that they
      may inherit the spiritual and incorruptible glory of righteousness in
      Heaven, go ye unto alll the world and preach the gospel to the whole
      creation......."

      Where did this come from? W from 1:1 to 5:31 is Western and from 5:31 to
      16:20 is Caesarean. I don't think this is some relic of an ur-Markus.

      Jack
    • Dan Bellapianta (MedOPS)
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
        From reading the comments on the book ( http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm), the question/argument presented is:

        "Pierro also analyzes the causes which brought the substitution of Kurios (From kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, ) in the position of the name YHWH (tetragrammaton - the four Hebrew letters usually transliterated YHWH or JHVH that form a biblical proper name of God) which came in the early Christian Greek text."

        "Il Pierro analizza anche le cause che portano alla sostituzione di Kyrios al posto del teonoma YHWH avvenuta nei primitivi testi cristiani in greco."

        He also brings up the question of proper pronounciation of YHWH "Yahowa e non Yahwe".

        ------------------------------------
        Thank you for your kind help.

        Dan Bellapianta
        dan@...
        www.medops.net

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2004
            Recently I wrote:
            > From the curiosities cabinet:
            > Tetragrammaton in the Codex Washingtonensis?
            > Have a look at:
            > http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm

            Here a manipulated image of Codex W/032 occurs on the title page of a
            book from Matteo Pierro. Now, a friendly reader alerts me of a rebuttal
            and response to that book at:

            http://home.europa.com/~lynnlund/itm2books.htm

            The homepage BTW claims to be "the leading research web site dedicated
            exclusively to the study of the Tetragrammaton."
            It might therefore be helpful to those interested in a discussion with
            Jehowah's witnesses.

            mailto:willker@...-bremen.de