RE: [textualcriticism] Modified image of Codex Washingtonensis

  • Harold P. Scanlin
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004

      Apparently, the appearance of a brief note on the tetragrammaton in the NT by Pierro in the respected journal Rivista Biblica 45(1997):183-186, created a discussion and response(s), as described by Achille Aveta at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Oracle/6685/pyrrhus.htm

      Harold P. Scanlin

      41 Waldheim Park

      Allentown, PA  18103

      voice  610-791-9146

      fax  610-791-0439

      harold.scanlin@...

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
        Looking at the huge gaps around the purported word, it's not even a good
        forgery...

        On Wednesday 13 October 2004 08:22, Wieland Willker wrote:
        > >From the curiosities cabinet:
        >
        > Tetragrammaton in the Codex Washingtonensis?
        > Have a look at:
        > http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm
        >
        > It is the first page of the Gospel of Mark in Codex W 032. For the
        > original image compare:
        > http://www.beloit.edu/~classics/GospelOfMark/
        >

        > Best wishes
        >     Wieland
        >        <><
        > Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        > mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        > http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
        > Textcritical commentary:
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Dave Washburn
        http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
        "No good. Hit on head." -Gronk
      • J. Ted Blakley
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
          >> I don't get the joke.
          >
          >It's no joke.
          >
          >> It's a fraud
          right?

          >It's at least a "modified" image. I have not read the
          book, just seen
          >the cover.
          >
          >Best
          wishes

          I agree with Wieland's careful response to whether this is a fraud, especially given that it is on the cover of a book. It is very possible that the book argues that the tetragrammaton was in the original manuscript(s) and that the image on the front cover is an artists' rendering of what it would have looked like. Perhaps he argues that on this particular manuscript the tetragrammaton was erased and replaced with KY. But without knowing the argument of the book, it is impossible to determine whether the image on the cover is being presented as evidence for the thesis (and so fraudulent) or merely as an illustration accompanying the thesis.
              Of course, the danger is that even if it is simply a modified image for the sake of illustrating what may have been present once, the image itself, detached from the argument of the book, could be used to argue that the tetragrammaton is in fact on an actual NT manuscript in existence and so deceive many people.

          Sincerely,
          Ted
          J. Ted Blakley

          Ph.D. Candidate (New Testament)
          St Mary's College
          University of St Andrews

          jtb1@...
          Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 4:24 PM
          Subject: [textualcriticism] Re: Modified image of Codex Washingtonensis

          > I don't get the joke.

          It's no joke.

          > It's a fraud right?

          It's at least a "modified" image. I have not read the book, just seen
          the cover.

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 13, 2004
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
              From reading the comments on the book ( http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm), the question/argument presented is:

              "Pierro also analyzes the causes which brought the substitution of Kurios (From kuros (supremacy); supreme in authority, that is, ) in the position of the name YHWH (tetragrammaton - the four Hebrew letters usually transliterated YHWH or JHVH that form a biblical proper name of God) which came in the early Christian Greek text."

              "Il Pierro analizza anche le cause che portano alla sostituzione di Kyrios al posto del teonoma YHWH avvenuta nei primitivi testi cristiani in greco."

              He also brings up the question of proper pronounciation of YHWH "Yahowa e non Yahwe".

              ------------------------------------
              Thank you for your kind help.

              Dan Bellapianta
              dan@...
              www.medops.net

              >It's at least a "modified" image. I have not read the book, just seen
              >the cover.
              >
              >Best wishes

              I agree with Wieland's careful response to whether this is a fraud, especially given that it is on the cover of a book. It is very possible that the book argues that the tetragrammaton was in the original manuscript(s) and that the image on the front cover is an artists' rendering of what it would have looked like. Perhaps he argues that on this particular manuscript the tetragrammaton was erased and replaced with KY. But without knowing the argument of the book, it is impossible to determine whether the image on the cover is being presented as evidence for the thesis (and so fraudulent) or merely as an illustration accompanying the thesis.
              Of course, the danger is that even if it is simply a modified image for the sake of illustrating what may have been present once, the image itself, detached from the argument of the book, could be used to argue that the tetragrammaton is in fact on an actual NT manuscript in existence and so deceive many people.

              Sincerely,
              Ted
              J. Ted Blakley

              Ph.D. Candidate (New Testament)
              St Mary's College
              University of St Andrews

              jtb1@...
              It's at least a "modified" image. I have not read the book, just seen
              the cover.

              mailto:willker@...-bremen.de

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

              Yahoo! Groups Links
              To visit your group on the web, go to:
            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 14, 2004
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 9, 2004
                  Recently I wrote:
                  > From the curiosities cabinet:
                  > Tetragrammaton in the Codex Washingtonensis?
                  > Have a look at:
                  > http://utenti.lycos.it/matteopierro/geova.htm

                  Here a manipulated image of Codex W/032 occurs on the title page of a
                  book from Matteo Pierro. Now, a friendly reader alerts me of a rebuttal
                  and response to that book at:

                  http://home.europa.com/~lynnlund/itm2books.htm

                  The homepage BTW claims to be "the leading research web site dedicated
                  exclusively to the study of the Tetragrammaton."
                  It might therefore be helpful to those interested in a discussion with
                  Jehowah's witnesses.

                  mailto:willker@...-bremen.de