2 Peter 3:11 a negative variant????

  • Lorinda Hoover and Jim Mossman
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2005
      2 Peter 3:11 a negative variant???? Greetings!

      In working on 2 Peter 3:11,

      TOUTWN hOUTWS PANTWN LUOMENWN POTATOUS DEI hUPARCEIN [hUMAS] EN hAGIAS ANASTROFAIS KAI EUSEBEIAS.

      I looked at several translations, and found something odd in Segond:

      Puisque donc toutes ces choses doivent se dissoudre, quelle ne doivent pas etre la saintete de votre conduite et votre piete.

      (Since, therefore, all these things must dissolve, such must not be the holiness of your conduct and your piety.)

      I can't figure out why there is a negative (ne...pas) here.  Neither of my Greek New Testaments (UBS3 and an old NA) list any variant with a negative in the reading.  Is there some obscure manuscript out there that includes a negative in this verse, as Segond does?

      Blessings,

      Lorinda Hoover

      --
      Lorinda H. M. Hoover
      UMC Pastor and Stay-at-home mom

    • James M. Leonard
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 19, 2005
        The editor of mae-2 has concluded that it represents a text from a
        primitive Hebrew version of Matthew. Interestingly, George Howard
        makes similar claims about Shem Tob's 14th century Hebrew Matthew.
        Neither claim seems to be convincing anyone, despite especially
        tenacious efforts by Howard.

        I wonder if Howard is analyzing mae-2 to find any commonality with
        his Shem Tob :)

        But otherwise, mae-2 seems to be an important ms, in that it is
        purported to be the oldest extant ms in any language to much of
        Matthew's gospel.

        Jim Leonard
        Southwestern Pennsylvania

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "feeite_christian"