Re: [textualcriticism] Fun stuff

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7, 2004
      At 09:31 AM 10/7/2004, you wrote:

      Today I came across a fascinating website:
      http://www.textualcriticism.com/BiblicalTextualCriticism.htm
      (what an URL!)

      Enjoy!

      I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek Wieland.  I quote from their page:

      Textual Principle

      There are NO textual variants in undistorted copies of the ancient, biblical text.
       A so-called textual variant, a wording variation, in an ancient, biblical text is either the correct wording in an undistorted copy of the ancient, biblical text or an incorrect wording in a distorted copy of the ancient, biblical text.

      Naubs Principle

      The Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, which is also the United Bible Societies´┐Ż Greek New Testament, incorporates a host of textual, propositional, and logical errors.

      --- end quote.

      This sounds like the tired old nonsense known here in the States as the "King James Only" movement.
      The site is rubbish.  Surely no serious text critic would adopt such a stance as taken there.  So again, and I feel certain, your tongue must surely be tightly glued to your cheek!

      Best

      Jim

      ++++++++++++++++++++
      Jim West, ThD
      Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
      http://web.infoave.net/~jwest  Biblical Studies Resources
      http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com   Biblical Theology Weblog

      "Man sage doch nicht, es sei ein neutrales Forschungsergebnis.  Ein solcher Mann sollte die Hand von Jesus lassen, er versteht ihn niemals" --  Paul Wernle
    • Dave Washburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2004
        Umm, the fact that he sent it under the subject "fun stuff" and the fact that
        he quoted several of the more outrageous statements (such as the
        trillion-page document), as well as the several smileys in his message,
        should have been your first clues, Jim! ;-)

        --
        Dave Washburn
        http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2004
          This website is quite interesting.
          I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
          "nexus".
          All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
          I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
          "machine-generated" answers back.
          Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
          Something like that, but better.

          The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?

          This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
          I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        • Michael Marlowe
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2004
            Wieland,

            I was contacted by the author of this site more than a year ago. At that
            time it was at a different URL, with much the same content. There have been
            some minor changes.

            When the author contacted me (by email) he merely gave a link and a brief
            description of the site, apparently as a "link suggestion" for my website's
            Web Directory.

            I'm tempted to think that the whole thing is a put-on, and that the author
            described on the site (and its sister-sites) is a fictitious person. But on
            the other hand ... I have seen some pretty crazy stuff online. And the
            changes in the content suggest to me that it is probably not just a game or
            parody.

            Michael Marlowe
            bible-researcher.com

            > I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
            > "nexus".
            > All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
            > I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
            > "machine-generated" answers back.
            > Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
            > Something like that, but better.
            >
            > The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?
            >

            > This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
            > I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)
            >
            > Best wishes
            > Wieland
          • Karl Schmidtke

              > I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
              > "nexus".
              > All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
              > I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
              > "machine-generated" answers back.
              > Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
              > Something like that, but better.
              >
              > The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?
              >

              > This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
              > I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)
              >
              > Best wishes
              >     Wieland

              Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB kostenlosem Speicher