Fun stuff

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 7 6:31 AM
      Today I came across a fascinating website:
      http://www.textualcriticism.com/BiblicalTextualCriticism.htm
      (what an URL!)

      Enjoy!

      They show us:
      The following graph (latest data) reports the quality of textual
      criticism scholarship from 1600 to the present.
      http://www.textualcriticism.com/BiblicalTextualCriticism.htm#scholarship
      :-)

      and:
      "After analysis by several scholars, we submitted the Nestle-Aland
      United Bible Societies Greek New Testament to virtual supercomputer
      analysis. The results show a multitude of errors. The majority of
      these errors were propositional and logical, equally divided between
      propositional errors and logical errors. Because of the relatively
      limited knowledge of textual critics, if a textual critic were to
      examine the Nestle-Aland UBS text he could only find a tiny fraction of
      existing errors."
      :-)

      "Below is a portion of the Book of Matthew with DTC (Digital Textual
      Criticism) markers. Each verse has a Vector and a CI Value. These
      values are the product of textual analysis by a DTC program, which uses
      algorithms based on new discoveries in the field of Textual Calculus."
      http://lifefoundationsnexus.com/greek.new.testament.htm
      :-)

      They also give a very cool so called Textual Principle:
      "There are NO textual variants in undistorted copies of the ancient,
      biblical text."
      :-)

      and let us note that:
      "The complete one trillion pages of copyrighted documentation that
      support the principles stated above will be made available over time."

      Congratulation to the creator of this site!
      :-)

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7 6:59 AM
        At 09:31 AM 10/7/2004, you wrote:

        Today I came across a fascinating website:
        http://www.textualcriticism.com/BiblicalTextualCriticism.htm
        (what an URL!)

        Enjoy!

        I hope your tongue is firmly in your cheek Wieland.  I quote from their page:

        Textual Principle

        There are NO textual variants in undistorted copies of the ancient, biblical text.
         A so-called textual variant, a wording variation, in an ancient, biblical text is either the correct wording in an undistorted copy of the ancient, biblical text or an incorrect wording in a distorted copy of the ancient, biblical text.

        Naubs Principle

        The Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament, which is also the United Bible Societies´┐Ż Greek New Testament, incorporates a host of textual, propositional, and logical errors.

        --- end quote.

        This sounds like the tired old nonsense known here in the States as the "King James Only" movement.
        The site is rubbish.  Surely no serious text critic would adopt such a stance as taken there.  So again, and I feel certain, your tongue must surely be tightly glued to your cheek!

        Best

        Jim

        ++++++++++++++++++++
        Jim West, ThD
        Pastor, First Baptist Church Petros
        http://web.infoave.net/~jwest  Biblical Studies Resources
        http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com   Biblical Theology Weblog

        "Man sage doch nicht, es sei ein neutrales Forschungsergebnis.  Ein solcher Mann sollte die Hand von Jesus lassen, er versteht ihn niemals" --  Paul Wernle
      • Gie Vleugels
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7 6:59 AM
          Why were we not invited to these 711,446 interesting debates?

          Gie Vleugels

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7 10:10 AM
            Umm, the fact that he sent it under the subject "fun stuff" and the fact that
            he quoted several of the more outrageous statements (such as the
            trillion-page document), as well as the several smileys in his message,
            should have been your first clues, Jim! ;-)

            --
            Dave Washburn
            http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8 6:32 AM
              This website is quite interesting.
              I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
              "nexus".
              All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
              I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
              "machine-generated" answers back.
              Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
              Something like that, but better.

              The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?

              This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
              I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)

              mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
            • Michael Marlowe
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8 7:37 AM
                Wieland,

                I was contacted by the author of this site more than a year ago. At that
                time it was at a different URL, with much the same content. There have been
                some minor changes.

                When the author contacted me (by email) he merely gave a link and a brief
                description of the site, apparently as a "link suggestion" for my website's
                Web Directory.

                I'm tempted to think that the whole thing is a put-on, and that the author
                described on the site (and its sister-sites) is a fictitious person. But on
                the other hand ... I have seen some pretty crazy stuff online. And the
                changes in the content suggest to me that it is probably not just a game or
                parody.

                Michael Marlowe
                bible-researcher.com

                > I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
                > "nexus".
                > All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
                > I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
                > "machine-generated" answers back.
                > Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
                > Something like that, but better.
                >
                > The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?
                >

                > This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
                > I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)
                >
                > Best wishes
                > Wieland
              • Karl Schmidtke

                  > I was suspicious already from the beginning, because of the word
                  > "nexus".
                  > All the content appears to be "machine-generated".
                  > I have sent an email to the given address and got quite interesting
                  > "machine-generated" answers back.
                  > Do you remember Joseph Weizenbaum's chatterbot program "Elisa"?
                  > Something like that, but better.
                  >
                  > The question that arises is: Why? Is this a game?
                  >

                  > This is for the most part off-topic, I know, but as I am the moderator,
                  > I am allowing some discussion about this. :-)
                  >
                  > Best wishes
                  >     Wieland

                  Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB kostenlosem Speicher