Swanson Update

  • mydogregae01
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2005
      Reuben Swanson's II Corinthians is at the printers and should be ready
      for the SBL meeting date. One should also expect to see a demo CD of
      the Bible Works program of Swanson's work!

      Reuben is now working on a massive project - he is attempting to
      finish all of the remaining Pauline epistles (Ephesians - Philemon),
      at the moment is is about 10% finished with this current endeavor.

      The person who may succeed Reuben (Kent Clarke) is working on the book
      of Revelation, using Reuben's format and methodology. It is hoped that
      Dr. Clarke will also make it a priority to correct Reuben's earlier
      works on the Gospels and Acts! After all, he now has the films.

      And a final note: Reuben's private collection of films has left
      America! It is now in Canada. This collection was never intended for
      public use, it is a private collection. Reuben had earlier planned to
      give it to the ABMC, but has changed his plans.

      Reuben is 88 1/2 years old this month. He has basically passed the
      remaining work (other than the Paulines) onto Dr. Clarke; may Dr.
      Clarke carry-on and improve the noble effort!!

      sincerely,
      Mr. Gary S. Dykes
      garyandgale@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2005
        > Reuben Swanson's II Corinthians is at the printers
        > Reuben is now working on a massive project ... to finish all
        > of the remaining Pauline epistles (Ephesians - Philemon),
        > Kent Clarke) is working on the book of Revelation

        Wow, that's great news. Keep us informed!
        I hope that there will be, one time, an improved and expanded version of the
        Gospels.

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      • Kent Clarke
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2005
          Re: [textualcriticism] Swanson Update Thank you Gary and Wieland for your comments pertaining to Reuben Swanson’s New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Perhaps I can speak in a little more detail about several of the thoughts that were brought up on list concerning the “collection” and Reuben’s work.

          We are actually in the process of raising some modest funds to have the collection of Reuben’s microfilms duplicated so that (1) they are preserved, as some are in poor condition, and (2) the public and other scholars can openly and freely access the collection. Reuben will retain ownership of “masters” as he is still, as all are aware, actively collating (in response to Gary’s thoughts--the collection has not “left America”). The duplicated films will be housed here at Trinity Western University and named as part of the “Reuben J. Swanson Ancient Biblical Manuscript Collection.” The collection remains a “private” collection (and must do so at this point of time for reasons of copyright etc.). Again, the express purpose of the “Reuben J. Swanson Ancient Manuscript Collection” will be to provide open and free access to the collection by both public and scholar alike. The collection is in no way “affiliated” to Trinity Western University (but is only “housed” at this university in order to facilitate conservation, ease of access, and future growth of the collection). Our initial goal is to provide all the material as microfilm. However, we have the longer range goal of digitalizing the collection and possibly putting it online as a free database for all who desire to use it.

          We really are desirous of avoiding “institutional loyalties” and “academic allegiances”.  Instead, we hope to make this material truly “public” for all. There are some obvious copyright issues that have to be further explored, and as we begin to catalogue and expand the collection over the next little while, I will be involved in trying to gain formal permission from the original holding institutions, in order that we might be able to make these materials openly accessible to all for research and non-profit use. Again, there are some major hurdles in this regard; however, we hope they can be worked through (for example, some of the close to 140 separate microfilms Reuben has collected over a a very long period of time are difficult to trace in regards to the origins of the original lending institution and copyright holder).

          We also desire to see this collection of materials continue to grow and hope to acquire further facsimiles, microfilms, and digital images of other biblical and biblical-related manuscripts. We have, to date, been able to acquire the 1889 Cozza New Testament facsimile edition of Codex Vaticanus, as well as Lake’s reduced facsimile of Codex Alexandrinus (TWU already has in its collection the recently published color facsimile of Vaticanus). We are also in the process of working out an arrangement whereby these first two facsimile editions (and any other facsimiles no longer under copyright that generous scholars or institutions might be willing to temporarily lend, or even images of any biblical text for that matter) can be digitally scanned or photographed. Again, the purpose being to provide broader and more open access to these documents for all who might be interested. We hope (maybe naively) for the day when the provision of all biblical manuscript images are freely provided in similar fashion to how the University of Michigan, the Oxyrinchus Papyri Project, and other such document supply centers have allowed access to their materials via their web sites.

          We are in the initial stages of establishing this collection, and I would be most grateful to hear from other “more experienced” voices on how the collection might be expanded, or particular sources that may be approached in this regard. We would also be extremely grateful to anyone who might be willing to temporarily lend their facsimile editions of biblical texts (clearly those no longer in copyright) so that they could be digitalized; or individuals who might be willing to “share” their personal images. Again, we are hopeful that we can do this in accordance with all copyright laws and that full and due credit can be given to the proper individuals and institutions (although there are some obvious “gray areas” that need to be worked through). I also have a small but growing set of my own personal images taken from material no longer under copyright—any one interested in “trading hockey cards”??? The primary aim of all this is to insure ease of access to a wide range of materials for all who want to better familiarize themselves with the biblical manuscript tradition, or those who need access to primary source material for the purpose of academic study. The truth of the matter is, I could sit and “hoard” these 140 microfilms here in my university office and use them exclusively for work on the Swanson volumes as well as my own personal study; however, I view that as counterproductive and problematic. I hope for a collegiality (which I have often and profoundly experienced among my colleagues in text critical studies) that overcomes these parochialisms; and with a little effort and a small amount of financing, this collection can be made accessible to many others.

          Pertaining to Reuben and my own work on New Testament Greek Manuscripts, Gary has accurately stated that Reuben is, indeed, working on the Pauline corpus. I am currently working on Revelation. As Gary also stated, there will indeed be a Bible Works edition of Reuben’s work completed to date (although the production of a “demo CD” by the time of SBL may be optimistic, and I’m not sure where this information was gleaned from. I don’t think this has been officially confirmed by the wonderful staff at Bible Works). It should be completed, barring any major difficulties, in relatively short time (with additions of the forthcoming volumes added as they too are completed). I am also personally involved in discussions with Accordance and am very optimistic that a Mac-Accordance version of Reuben’s volumes will be undertaken in the near future. Again, however, this is in process and has not been finalized. There have also been serious discussions related to the production of a Second Edition of Reuben’s works on, at least, the Gospels. We desire to make corrections to the text (many of which were very kindly pointed out by several of you on this list); as well as add a greater number of manuscripts to the collation base (manuscripts Reuben was not able to acquire for various reasons at the time of his work on the gospels). Incidentally, the textual corrections will likely be included more immediately in the biblical software modules mentioned above (and rumor is they will be “very affordable”). As always, I am most grateful for advice, insight, constructive criticism, or notices of correction in regards to any aspect of our work, and have been especially appreciative for correspondence from several of you on this list!

          Kind Regards;

          Kent

          Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
          Trinity Western University
          7600 Glover Road
          Langley, BC
          V2Y 1Y1
          (604) 504-0076
          kentc@...

          On 10/27/05 1:09 PM, "Wieland Willker" <willker@...-bremen.de> wrote:

          > Reuben Swanson's II Corinthians is at the printers
          > Reuben is now working on a massive project ... to finish all
          > of the remaining Pauline epistles (Ephesians - Philemon),
          > Kent Clarke) is working on the book of Revelation

          Wow, that's great news. Keep us informed!
          I hope that there will be, one time, an improved and expanded version of the
          Gospels.

          mailto:willker@...-bremen.de

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Stephen C. Carlson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 22, 2005
            At 09:26 PM 10/26/2005 +0000, mydogregae01 wrote:
            >Reuben Swanson's II Corinthians is at the printers and should be ready
            >for the SBL meeting date.

            I just came back from SBL, and it looks like that the book did
            not make it through the printers in time for SBL. I talked to
            a bookseller who sold his sample copy before I got to see it,
            but he told me that it can be ordered through William Carey Press.

            Stephen

            --
            Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
          • D Jongkind
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 23, 2005
              I also just came back from SBL ...
              and I got my copy (the display one) :)

              Cheers,
              Dirk Jongkind

              Stephen C. Carlson wrote:
              At 09:26 PM 10/26/2005 +0000, mydogregae01 wrote:
              >Reuben Swanson's II Corinthians is at the printers and should be ready
              >for the SBL meeting date.

              I just came back from SBL, and it looks like that the book did
              not make it through the printers in time for SBL.  I talked to
              a bookseller who sold his sample copy before I got to see it,
              but he told me that it can be ordered through William Carey Press.

              Stephen

              --
              Stephen C. Carlson                             mailto:scarlson@...
              Weblog:                                   http://www.hypotyposeis.org/weblog/

            • Stephen C. Carlson
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
                I am please to stated that I got my copy of Swanson's 2 Corinthians
                today. Like the 1 Corinthians volume, it has an appendix of all
                the so-called Vatican umlauts. My main complaint is that the ink
                appears somewhat fainter than in the previous volumes.

                Stephen

                --
                Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...