Ezra-Nehemiah

  • Lisbeth S. Fried
    Message 1 of 5 , May 13, 2004
      Dear All,
      Hello, I'm Liz Fried and new to this group.
      I'm in the process of writing a commentary on
      Ezra-Nehemiah for the Eerdmans Critical Commentary
      Series.
      How do I find out what all the different versions are?
      There does not seem to be a Targum, and I know nothing
      was found of these books from Qumran. I have 1st Esdras
      and the LXX, and the Vulgate, and of course the passage from
      2 Chronicles. How do I find out what else is out there?
      Is there a Peshitta?
      Thanks,
      Liz Fried

      Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph. D.
      Visiting Scholar
      Department of Near Eastern Studies
      University of Michigan
      2068 Frieze Bldg.
      105 S. State St.
      Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1285
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 5 , May 13, 2004
        At 11:20 AM 5/13/04 -0400, you wrote:

        Liz,
        I cant answer your question myself but Adrian Schenker, the chief editor of
        Biblia Hebraica Quinta certainly can. He is a warm and personable friend
        and he is always happy to help out whenever he can. His address-

        adrian.schenker@...

        he can communicate in German, French, or English.

        and by the way, congratulations on your commentary! I expect an autographed
        copy!!!!!

        Jim

        +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
        Dr Jim West
        Pastor, Petros Baptist Church
        http://biblical-studies.org Biblical Studies Resources
        http://biblical-studies.blogpspot.com Biblical Theology Weblog
      • Stephen Goranson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13, 2004
          There is a little bit of Ezra at Qumran: 4QEzra, edited by E. Ulrich in DJD
          XVI (2000) 291f.

          Stephen Goranson
        • Schmuel
          Message 4 of 5 , May 13, 2004
            Hi textualcriticism

            Lisbeth S. Fried, Ph. D.
            >Hello, I'm Liz Fried and new to this group. I'm in the process of writing a commentary on
            >Ezra-Nehemiah for the Eerdmans Critical Commentary Series. How do I find out what all the different versions are? There does not seem to be a Targum, and I know nothing was found of these books from Qumran. I have 1st Esdras and the LXX, and the Vulgate, and of course the passage from
            >2 Chronicles. How do I find out what else is out there? Is there a Peshitta?

            Schmuel
            Hi Liz, I figgered I would get into this list at the very beginnings !

            As far as I can see, from my limited perspective, you are well on top of these things, keep in mind that the socalled LXX often has a large amount of differentiation between its various competing manuscripts.

            According to the DSS Bible there are three fragments of Ezra-Nehemiah from Ezra 4-6, that almost exactly match the Masoretic Text (four minor variants) .. that at least counts as a good scholarship verification of the text against possible LXX variants :-)

            The Peshitta has all of Tanach.. the folks at www.peshitta.org are very, very helpful in answering questions and sharing information (in my experience, especially Paul Younan and Andrew Gabriel Roth). My (vague) understanding is that we may not have a full English translation other than Lamsa (the Peshitta Tanach is rather neglected, while the NT has more scholarship and translations) And that it is generally a strong witness to the Masoretic Text (and perhaps some extant manuscripts precede the extant MT manuscripts). There are big discussions about degrees of Jewish and Christian involvement in the Peshitta Tanach translation, rather an interesting discussion. Other good references can be found through the "Journal for the Aramaic Bible" http://www.targum.org/ , and the Syriac Institute.. http://www.bethmardutho.org/ as you likely know :-)

            Hope that helps a bit, wish you well on your commentary project ! :-)

            Shalom,
            Steven Avery
            Queens, NY

            Schmuel@...
          • Giuseppe Regalzi
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13, 2004
              Liz Fried wrote:

              > Is there a Peshitta?

              Yes, there is, but it has not yet appeared in the critical edition by the
              Peshitta Institute of Leiden (but the edition of 1[3] Ezra is available:
              Heinrich Schneider, W. Baars and J. C. H. Lebram, The Old Testament in
              Syriac According to the Peshitta Version, IV.6: Canticles or Odes - Prayer
              of Manasseh - Apocryphal Psalms - Psalms of Solomon - Tobit - 1[3] Esdras,
              Leiden, Brill, 1972). So you will have to resort to the images of ms 7a1
              (Codex Ambrosianus), by the Biblical Manuscripts Project:

              http://alpha.reltech.org:8083/cgi-bin/Ebind2html/BibleMSS/7a1

              Also of use:

              C. A. Hawley, A Critical Examination of the Peshitta Version of the Book of
              Ezra (Contributions to Oriental History and Philology, 7), New York 1922;

              C. Moss, "The Peshitta Version of Ezra", Le Muséon 46 (1933) 55-110;

              R. L. Harris, The Peshitta to Nehemiah: A Textual-critical Analysis,
              unpublished diss., Philadelphia 1947.

              BTW, a complete and updated list of the editions of the extant witnesses to
              the Hebrew Bible would be a vary valuable commodity. Does anyone know of
              any project aiming at something like that?

              Best wishes,
              Giuseppe

              Dr Giuseppe Regalzi, DR
              Rome, Italy