Re: [textualcriticism] Mark 13.13 ESESQE

  • Jim West
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
      It isn't bold in Merk's edition- but it is in all the copies of NA I
      have here. Maybe just extra ink flowed at that spot? I don't think
      there's any textual reason for it. I take it to be a printer's error.

      Best

      Jim

      --
      Jim West

    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
        There is some kind of a dot on the same page as ESESQE under the HENEKEN of
        13.9 (shared in NA26 and NA 27). Fair enough the whole page is a
        straightforward reproduction. So a single bold letter is just an unusual
        typo or a type-setter making his mark, or is it supposed to signal
        something like bold letters in the Hebrew Bible?

        Pete

        At 01:00 PM 9/12/05, you wrote:
        >NA27 is generally a photographic reproduction of NA26, except in the
        >apparatus. See the phrase 'avoiding the necessity for altering the page
        >makeup' on p. 46* of NA27. I've wondered before whether this letter was
        >indeed bold, but I reckon that many graphical features are shared between
        >the editions.
        >
        >Consider for instance p. 59 line 3 where at Matthew 21:14 there is a tiny
        >dot just after XWLOI. This is shared in an edition of NA26 and of NA27 in
        >my possession.
        >
        >NA27 is thus _literally_ a photographic reproduction of NA26, though within
        >these editions there are corrected printings.
        >
        >Can anyone find any more dots?
        >
        >Pete
        >

        >At 11:35 12/09/2005 +0100, you wrote:
        > >Does anyone know why the middle epsilon is printed bold in NA27 and NA26.
        > >
        > >Cheers
        > >
        > >Peter
        > >

        > > >----------
        > >
        > >Peter M. Head, PhD
        > >Sir Kirby Laing Senior Lecturer in New Testament
        > >Tyndale House
        > >36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        > >566607
        > >Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223
        > 566608
        > ><http://www.tyndale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/Staff.htm>http://www.tyn
        > dale.cam.ac.uk/Tyndale/staff/Head/Staff.htm

        > > *

        > > *
        > >

        > >----------
        >

        >------------
        >Peter Williams
        >Deputy Head of Divinity, History and Philosophy
        >University of Aberdeen
        >p.j.williams@...
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
      • Daniel B. Wallace
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
          It's not bold in my eighth printing of NA27.

          Dan Wallace

          > It isn't bold in Merk's edition- but it is in all the copies of NA I
          > have here. Maybe just extra ink flowed at that spot? I don't think
          > there's any textual reason for it. I take it to be a printer's error.
          >
          > Best
          >
          > Jim
          >

          > Peter Head wrote:
          > > Does anyone know why the middle epsilon is printed bold in NA27 and NA26.
          > >
          > > Cheers
          > >
          > > Peter
          >
          > --
          > Jim West
          >
          > Biblical Studies Resources - http://web.infoave.net/~jwest
          > Biblical Theology Weblog - http://biblical-studies.blogspot.com
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          ----- End Original Message -----
        • Viktor Golinets
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 12, 2005
            In my copy of NA27, 8th Printing, 2001 (in German "27. Auflage, 2. Druck) , the middle epsilon is not printed bold. But it is bold in NA27, 2nd printing, 1994.

            In NA27, 2nd printing, 1994 in Acts 1:1 LOGON the last letter is bold. But in NA27, 8th printing, 2001 it is not bold.

            Here is the short list of other instances in NA27, 2nd printing, 1994 and in NA27, 8th printing, 2001 with bold letters:

            Lk 1,59 PERITEMEIN the first Iota

            Lk 2,31 PROSWPON the first Omicron and the accent sign

            John 3,28 MARTUREITE the first four letters

            John 10:23 PERIPATEI the second Iota

            John 10:25 hA and the accent sign

            John 11:31 MET THE first letter

            Acts 1:1 W and the accent sign

            Hebr 9,25 EAUTON the Ypsilon

            These are the instances that I have just noted during my reading but I have not checked all the NT consequently. I also have not checked the 1st, the 3rd, the 5th, the 6th and the 7th printigs of NA27.

            Viktor Golinets, M.A.
            Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München
            Institut für Semitistik

            Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher
          • Viktor Golinets

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 15, 2005
                Dear Peter:

                I'm pretty sure the bold epsilon is a typo, possibly elicited by a
                typesetter's omission of "es" and a subsequent correction at the
                proof-reading stage.

                In the 1963 25th edition, "esesqe" is normal, without any bold
                letters.

                Yours in Christ,

                James E. Snapp, Jr.
                Curtisville Christian Church