Ant: [textualcriticism] Re: Byzantine Text -- uses in textual criticism

  • Viktor Golinets
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 10, 2005
      Dear Daniel,

      you have written

      "The important thing to remember is that 99.9% of all manuscripts have been lost, and to precisely divide the fraction that remains into more-authentic and less-authentic copies of the originals is going to be fraught with speculation, no matter who does the dividing."

      Could you explain how was established the percentage (99.9%) of the lost manuscripts or the sum of all manuscripts? Do you know who has done this?

      Sincerely
      Viktor Golinets

      Viktor Golinets, M.A.
      Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München
      Institut für Semitistik

      Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB kostenlosem Speicher
    • Tony Zbaraschuk
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12, 2005
        On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 10:38:48PM +0200, Viktor Golinets wrote:
        > Dear Daniel,
        >
        > you have written
        >
        > "The important thing to remember is that 99.9% of all manuscripts have been lost, and to precisely divide the fraction that remains into more-authentic and less-authentic copies of the originals is going to be fraught with speculation, no matter who does the dividing."
        >
        > Could you explain how was established the percentage (99.9%) of the lost manuscripts or the sum of all manuscripts? Do you know who has done this?

        I think he's using a figure of speech here -- "99.9%" means "the vast
        majority."

        One possible benchmark is Eusebius' comment that Constantinte wanted
        300 copies of the Scriptures made for the churches in Constantinople.
        We have two that _might_ be survivors of this batch (Vaticanus and
        Sinaiticus, with more doubt in the latter case). 2/300 is perhaps
        closer to 99.67% than 99.9%, but the relative merit of the statement
        remains unaffected.

        Tony Zbaraschuk

        --
        "History will be kind to me. I intend to write it."
        --Sir Winston Churchill
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2005
          Tony Zbaraschuk:

          Not to quibble, but Eusebius was instructed to produce 50, not 300,
          codices for Constantine.

          Unless Eusebius hired scribes from different locales to make some of
          the codices, it seems unlikely to me, despite the stuff Skeat pointed
          out in his 1999 essay on the subject, that Vaticanus and Sinaiticus
          were both produced under Eusebius' supervision; their scribes have
          different approaches to nomina sacra in the NT. If one or the other
          /is/ one of Eusebius' production-pieces, then we're looking at a 1-in-
          50 (2%) survival-rate of a 50-piece set of deluxe parchment codices
          sent (or originally intended to be sent) to Constantinople in the
          fourth century. Not that this really says anything about the likely
          survival-rate of papyrus copies made in Asia Minor in the second
          century.

          I think the important thing to remember, when one is gauging the
          value of the Byzantine/Majority Text, is that the transmission-stream
          was not uniform, and that several special factors -- material,
          location/climate, disposition of scribes, relic-stature of a MS (such
          as Codex Vercellensis), ability of MS-owners to read Greek, degree of
          Roman persecution in a particular area, and so forth -- must be taken
          into consideration. When they are taken into consideration, the
          transmission-stream may be effectively considered chaotic -- not
          altogether chaotic, and not at all times, but chaotic enough, often
          enough, early enough, to render a simple consideration of the number
          of MSS of a particular text-type meaningless as a gauge of the
          originality of that text-type.

          Yours in Christ,

          James E. Snapp, Jr.
          Curtisville Christian Church