Re: [textualcriticism] Kate Bush new album 'Aerial'

  • Peter Head
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
      I heard that the original form of the single was 'King of the Fountain' and
      included a meditation on the punctuation of John 7.37-38. But the capital
      'F' slipped typographically and was mistaken for an 'M'. This necessitated
      a whole new song about the Sermon on the Mount.

      Pete

      At 03:56 PM 9/7/05, you wrote:
      >News are rare these days so I take my moderator freedom to inform you all
      >that Kate Bush will have a new double album out, called "Aerial"!
      >It will be released worldwide on November 7th,
      >the first single 'King Of The Mountain' October 24th.
      >
      >Here you can follow the news:
      >http://www.katebushnews.com/katenews.htm
      >
      >On-topic content: I have found absolutely nothing to connect Kate Bush
      >with textual criticism. Anyone?
      >
      >Best wishes
      > Wieland
      > S R I
      > <><
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Peter M. Head, PhD
      Tyndale House
      36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      566607
      Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
    • Harold P. Scanlin
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005

        I must confess that before this thread began I barely knew the name Kate Bush and never heard any of her recordings. So I defer to authorities such ad Wieland and Peter to do lyric-analysis (sounds like a new SBL Group for next year’s meeting!).

        My observations relate more general issues.

        Omitting spaces between words in computer jargon: Most of us are used to spellings such as ‘textualcriticism’, ‘katebushnews’, but I still make  a disproportionate number of typographical errors trying to transcribe e-mail addresses. Check Paul Saenger’s Space between words: the origins of silent reading (Stanford CA: Stanford U. Press, 1997) for a fascinating discussion of the topic.

        The proliferation of acronyms/abbreviations in the computer age: How are vowelless acronyms pronounced, e.g. http? What about acronyms with vowels?  Is URL pronounced ‘eu ar el’ or ‘earl’? Normally I attempt to articulate acronyms with vowels as words, but I do say ‘eu ar el’.

        I offer these somewhat tongue-in-cheek observations re relevancy.  But I do think textual criticism could benefit from the insights of the disciplines of neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics. To get started in this sub-discipline try Sebastiano Timpanaro’s The Freudian slip: Psychoanalysis and textual criticism (London: NLB, 1976). I don’t always agree with him but it’s a fun read.

        Harold P. Scanlin

        41 Waldheim Park

        Allentown, PA  18103

        voice  610-791-9146

        fax  610-791-0439

        harold.scanlin@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
          At 12:56 PM 9/8/05, you wrote:
          >I do think textual criticism could benefit from the insights of the
          >disciplines of neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics. To get started in
          >this sub-discipline try Sebastiano Timpanaro's The Freudian slip:
          >Psychoanalysis and textual criticism (London: NLB, 1976). I don't always
          >agree with him but it's a fun read.
          >
          >Harold P. Scanlin

          He wrote earlier on Lachmann so he ought to know about textual criticism.
          Cf. S. Timpanaro, Die Entstehung der Lachmannschen Methode(Hamburg: H.
          Buske; 2nd edition; translation from La genesi del metodo del Lachmann
          (Firenze: Le Monnier, 1963), 1971)

          Cheers

          Peter