Re: Kate Bush new album 'Aerial'

    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2005
      > On-topic content: I have found absolutely nothing to
      > connect Kate Bush with textual criticism. Anyone?

      Audio decipherment: I remember that we tried to decipher Kate's demo recordings back in the mid nineties when they surfaced. It was an old tape, copied multiple times, of unknown origin, which apparently contained the early demos of Kate Bush, to which Dave Gilmour listened to. 16 year old Kate recorded them at home with a normal tape recorder.
      We tried the latest audio enhancement programs to get the lyrics right. We got so far that we even heard sparrows in the yard. This kind of audio analysis is comparable to deciphering an old papyrus. Does this belong to textual criticism? "audio criticism"? Quite a detective work. I really enjoy that.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Peter Head
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
        I heard that the original form of the single was 'King of the Fountain' and
        included a meditation on the punctuation of John 7.37-38. But the capital
        'F' slipped typographically and was mistaken for an 'M'. This necessitated
        a whole new song about the Sermon on the Mount.

        Pete

        At 03:56 PM 9/7/05, you wrote:
        >News are rare these days so I take my moderator freedom to inform you all
        >that Kate Bush will have a new double album out, called "Aerial"!
        >It will be released worldwide on November 7th,
        >the first single 'King Of The Mountain' October 24th.
        >
        >Here you can follow the news:
        >http://www.katebushnews.com/katenews.htm
        >
        >On-topic content: I have found absolutely nothing to connect Kate Bush
        >with textual criticism. Anyone?
        >
        >Best wishes
        > Wieland
        > S R I
        > <><
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Peter M. Head, PhD
        Tyndale House
        36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
        566607
        Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608
      • Harold P. Scanlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005

          I must confess that before this thread began I barely knew the name Kate Bush and never heard any of her recordings. So I defer to authorities such ad Wieland and Peter to do lyric-analysis (sounds like a new SBL Group for next year’s meeting!).

          My observations relate more general issues.

          Omitting spaces between words in computer jargon: Most of us are used to spellings such as ‘textualcriticism’, ‘katebushnews’, but I still make  a disproportionate number of typographical errors trying to transcribe e-mail addresses. Check Paul Saenger’s Space between words: the origins of silent reading (Stanford CA: Stanford U. Press, 1997) for a fascinating discussion of the topic.

          The proliferation of acronyms/abbreviations in the computer age: How are vowelless acronyms pronounced, e.g. http? What about acronyms with vowels?  Is URL pronounced ‘eu ar el’ or ‘earl’? Normally I attempt to articulate acronyms with vowels as words, but I do say ‘eu ar el’.

          I offer these somewhat tongue-in-cheek observations re relevancy.  But I do think textual criticism could benefit from the insights of the disciplines of neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics. To get started in this sub-discipline try Sebastiano Timpanaro’s The Freudian slip: Psychoanalysis and textual criticism (London: NLB, 1976). I don’t always agree with him but it’s a fun read.

          Harold P. Scanlin

          41 Waldheim Park

          Allentown, PA  18103

          voice  610-791-9146

          fax  610-791-0439

          harold.scanlin@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2005
            At 12:56 PM 9/8/05, you wrote:
            >I do think textual criticism could benefit from the insights of the
            >disciplines of neurolinguistics and psycholinguistics. To get started in
            >this sub-discipline try Sebastiano Timpanaro's The Freudian slip:
            >Psychoanalysis and textual criticism (London: NLB, 1976). I don't always
            >agree with him but it's a fun read.
            >
            >Harold P. Scanlin

            He wrote earlier on Lachmann so he ought to know about textual criticism.
            Cf. S. Timpanaro, Die Entstehung der Lachmannschen Methode(Hamburg: H.
            Buske; 2nd edition; translation from La genesi del metodo del Lachmann
            (Firenze: Le Monnier, 1963), 1971)

            Cheers

            Peter