Re: P52 and date of John

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2005

      Peter said:
      > What do you take as the date range he is proposing? It doesn't seem
      explicit.

      After looking the article over again, I must admit that Nongbri (whose name
      I don't know how to pronounce) doesn't spell out explicitly what date range
      he is proposing. However, I think it is safe to infer that he would support
      a date range of roughly 150 C.E. +/- 60 years.

      I take it Nongbri supports Eric Turner's statement: "I have no evidence to
      invalidate the first editor's dating to the first half of the second
      century. But I should echo his warning about the need for caution" (cited on
      pages 30-31).

      In addition, Nongbri adds in his conclusion: "What I have done is to show
      that any serious consideration of the window of possible dates for P52 must
      include dates in the later second and early third centuries" (pg. 46).

      Thus, I conclude that Nongbri thinks it is possible that P52 was copied
      sometime between roughly 90-210 C.E. This is a larger margin of error than
      we'd all like, but it's probably the best we can do.

      Best,
      Andrew

      > Cheers
      >
      > Peter
      >

      > Peter M. Head, PhD
      > Sir Kirby Laing Senior Lecturer in New Testament
      > Tyndale House
      > 36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223
      > 566607
      > Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223