P45 in Mark 6:3

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      Can anyone please clarify whether P45 in Mark 6:3 should read

      i/ 'the son of the carpenter and Mary'
      or
      ii/ 'the son of the carpenter'

      Thanks

      Andrew Criddle
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2005
        Andrew Criddle asked:
        > Can anyone please clarify whether P45 in Mark 6:3 should
        > read
        > i/ 'the son of the carpenter and Mary'
        > or
        > ii/ 'the son of the carpenter'

        We cannot know. The papyrus is extremely fragmentary here. All we can say is that it reads:

        ... TEKTON]OS HO U[IOS ...

        That MARIA follows is not sure, but probable, because we know of only one witness that omits it: 579 (acc. to Swanson).

        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de