Re: TNIV Textual Resources

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2005
      malcolm robertson wrote:

      > The textual note that I have from the JPS 2nd ed.(Leningrad Codex
      manuscript) reads thus:

      > "The number is lacking in the Heb. text; also, the precise context
      of the "two years" is uncertain. The verse is lacking in the
      Septuagint."

      > The ESV and NASB both have much the same, but the NIV notes Acts
      13:21 ...ETH TESSARAKONTA and the fact some late LXX MSS support
      this reading.

      > The source of Luke's information however does not of necessity
      come from the MT or LXX biblical text. Just like in Luke 3:36 the
      precise source of his information may remain unknown to us.

      . . . St. Luke's source is unknown to us - period."

      > As to the authenticity of 1 Sam 13:1 the verdict is still out.

      I suppose this would be a good place to give my own preferred
      explantion, as I have devoted more research to 1 Sam 13:1 than to
      any other textual problem in either Testament. Let me state first of
      all that my theory would be falsified by the discovery of any Hebrew
      manuscript of this verse predating the Christian era.

      Sometime in the 2000 years prior to the composition of the latest ms
      of I Samuel 13, the custodian of a ms noted that the usual reignal
      formual (was ___ years old in his reigning, and he reigned over
      Israel for ____ years) was missing for Saul. So he inserted the
      formula in the margin of his copy, intending to fill in the
      information when he found it (as was pointed out, there are several
      indications in the book of Acts that various facts of extrabiblical
      history were still extant in the early years of the Christian era).

      Whether he ever found this information or not, what apparently
      happened was that his marginal note (as often happened) found its
      way into the text of a later copy at the beginning of chapter 13.
      That it could even be translated "Saul reigned one year; and when he
      had reigned two years, he" shows that the KJV editors were already
      familiar with the argument that the custodians of the Masoretic text
      had advanced for interpreting this verse so differently than its
      reignal formula demands. Without the pointing of the MT, the verse
      has no numbers in it at all, and all manuscripts of 1 Samuel in
      Greek give testimony that it has no place in the narrative.