Re: TNIV textual sources

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2005
      "Daniel Buck" wrote:
      > I imagine Josephus is cited [in the TNIV] for Saul's age in I
      Samuel 13:1. That's quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one
      that I know of has ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius
      Africanus, or any historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke
      3:36. Following the text makes no less sense historically in one
      passage than the other, and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05,
      respectively) for omitting both problem passages altogether.>

      I checked into this myself, and my surmising was untrue. The TNIV
      cites Byzantine manuscripts for Saul's age (30), and a textual
      reconstruction for the years of his reign (42)--thus reversing the
      numbers in the original NASB.

      The Qumran scroll 4Q51 has a Hebrew text which seems to underlie the
      LXX in I and II Samuel, but it is deficient before chapter 14, so
      there's no B.C.E. MS evidence for or against the inclusion of I
      Samuel 13:1.

      Likewise, there's no equally ancient evidence for or against the
      inclusion of "Cainan" in Genesis 5:24 (which is presumed to underlie
      Luke 3:36). So the CBT's inequal treatment of these two passages
      serves as a lopsided exception to their general tendency to add to
      the Hebrew and subtract from the Greek.