Re: HTR: The Use and Abuse of P52

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2005
      Andrew Bernhard wrote:
      > The handwriting on P52 does look early, but given that so
      > little is preserved the date should be something like ca. 125
      > C.E. plus or minus a hundred years or so.

      Well, probably not *minus* 100 years. :-)
      I have sometimes the impression that the dates given are more the "earliest possible" than something in the middle. I agree that dating is more inexact than most people believe. It also depends on the MS. Some MSS can be dated more accurately than others.

      > Thus, a summary of my position on this matter is: P52 is of
      > no use in dating the Gospel of John.

      Of course, I think we all agree on that. This is more something apologists jump on.

      I do have the article now. If anybody is interested, send me a mail. It's 14 MB though!

      MIA HMERA WS CILIA ETH KAI CILIA ETH WS HMERA MIA. (Einstein)

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de