Re: Wachtel and Acts

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2004
      Jim Snapp II wrote:
      > I'm thinking, let's say ms. X has 1000 words, and variants that
      > involve 50 words. And ms. Y has 1050 words, and variants that
      > involve 50 words. The percentage of text in X that is affected by
      > variation in X = 5%. And the percentage of text in Y that is
      > affected by variation in Y = 4.76%.

      Both yours and Read-Heimerdinger's calculations are mathematically
      correct, but have no meaning. To take it to the extreme, for example,
      let's say D added at 100 places 100.000 words each. In that case the
      percentage of variation would be about 0.001% for D, but roughly 1% for
      B.
      To draw conclusions from these numbers is nonsense.

      What Wachtel means by the following sentence, I don't know.
      "That means the additions that make for the larger number of words in
      D05 are not treated as variants, whereas they are treated as omissions
      in B03."

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de