Aleppo Codex images

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 24, 2004
      Jim Davila calls attention to the following site which presents the
      Aleppo codex:
      http://aleppocodex.org/aleppocodex.html

      It is a bit tricky to get the actual large images, but here it is:
      Start with:
      http://aleppocodex.org/images/x4/1.jpg

      And then go on by changing this to 2.jpg, 3.jpg and so on...
      1.6 MB each!
      Currently it goes up to 234.jpg.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
      http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie
    • mr.scrivener
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2006
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        <willker@...> wrote:

        > It is a bit tricky to get the actual large images, but here it is:
        > Start with:
        > http://aleppocodex.org/images/x4/1.jpg
        > And then go on by changing this to 2.jpg, 3.jpg and so on...
        > 1.6 MB each!
        > Currently it goes up to 234.jpg.

        Actually, the first group, 1 to 248, range from 1.4 meg up to 2.5 meg
        in size, and average about 1.8 meg.

        However, there are some anomalies:54,55 61 and 66, 84, 86 and 151
        (85k) are only thumbs - about 250k each, and 69 is a 2x image.

        213 and 227 can be found (in images/2x/) at half size.

        images 231 to 248 are only 800k in size each, although the resolution
        looks approximately the same (They must have started using the
        Photoshop "Save for WEB" feature to shrink the file size with some
        loss of quality).

        After that, there is a haitus from 248 to 380 (I think, at least at
        4x size).

        Then 381-576 exist (in the /4x/ folder anyway) at about 800k each.

        Looks like some errors have not been fixed in those directories with
        the file size mixups and omissions noted.

        The second batch (381-576) at least looks consistent.
        files to 1.8 meg, without restoring any of the lost resolution
        from "save for Web" methods of storing the images.

        Be warned: Resaving the images as normal jpgs will not recover lost
        data, but may actually degrade the images further.

        The total number of images in the /4x/ folder will still fit on one
        CD.

        Just experimenting,
        Eeyore.
      • mr.scrivener
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2006
          <willker@...> wrote:
          > (etc.)

          One more addendum:

          You can download 2x images for all the intervening haitus (249-
          380.jpg)
          by going to the ...images/2x/ folder, with the following exceptions:

          283, 284, 304, 371,372 are missing,
          but the thumbs may be readable enough for the main text.
          You can grab these by just using the following variation:

          .../images/283.jpg etc.

          The 2x images for this range average 200k in size, adequate for
          reading on the screen or most simple purposes.

          (since they removed the Leningrad images from the net...)
          Eeyore.
        • mr.scrivener
          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2006
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "mr.scrivener"
            <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

            > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
            > <willker@> wrote:
            >
            > > It is a bit tricky to get the actual large images, but here it is:
            > > Start with:
            > > http://aleppocodex.org/images/x4/1.jpg
            > > And then go on by changing this to 2.jpg, 3.jpg and so on...
            > > 1.6 MB each!
            > > Currently it goes up to 234.jpg.
            > >

            > Actually, the first group, 1 to 248, range from 1.4 meg up to 2.5
            meg
            > in size, and average about 1.8 meg.
            >
            > However, there are some anomalies:54,55 61 and 66, 84, 86 and 151
            > (85k) are only thumbs - about 250k each, and 69 is a 2x image.
            >
            > 213 and 227 can be found (in images/2x/) at half size.
            >
            > images 231 to 248 are only 800k in size each, although the
            resolution
            > looks approximately the same (They must have started using the
            > Photoshop "Save for WEB" feature to shrink the file size with some
            > loss of quality).
            >
            > After that, there is a haitus from 248 to 380 (I think, at least at
            > 4x size).
            >
            > Then 381-576 exist (in the /4x/ folder anyway) at about 800k each.
            >
            > Looks like some errors have not been fixed in those directories
            with
            > the file size mixups and omissions noted.
            >
            > The second batch (381-576) at least looks consistent.
            > files to 1.8 meg, without restoring any of the lost resolution
            > from "save for Web" methods of storing the images.
            >
            > Be warned: Resaving the images as normal jpgs will not recover lost
            > data, but may actually degrade the images further.
            >
            > The total number of images in the /4x/ folder will still fit on one
            > CD.
            >

            > Just experimenting,
            > Eeyore.

            Apologies: I just noticed I typed in '2x' and '4x' instead of 'x2'
            and 'x4'. Sorry about that. I was thinking with the left side of
            the brain again.

            So everywhere you read '2x' in these explanations just
            substitute 'x2'.

            And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get into
            the fishtank and sing.

            Sincerely embarrassed,
            Eeyore.
          • dwashbur@nyx.net
            Message 5 of 9 , May 24, 2006
              On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

              [snip]
              > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get into
              > the fishtank and sing.

              :-) That one took a second. And when he says "two feet" he actually means "sixty feet"...

              Dave Washburn
              Encephaloriasis: That condition generated when the person you are dealing with is so
              incredibly stupid, you can actually feel your own brain cells drying up and flaking off.
            • mr.scrivener
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2006
                For what its worth, I've put the images into zip files.
                Someone lent me some space to put them up.
                They are much easier to deal with like this.
                You can download four files at a time from Internet Exploder. (this
                won't slow down the download, but will actually speed it up). While one
                is downloading, click on another.
                Just click on the files in the directory.
                These files take up a lot of space, and my friend may make me take them
                down again shortly, so take them if you need them now:

                http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/

                --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, dwashbur@... wrote:

                > On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

                [snip]
                > > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get
                into
                > > the fishtank and sing.
                >
                > :-) That one took a second. And when he says "two feet" he actually
                means "sixty feet"...

              • Kent Clarke
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 13, 2006
                  Re: [textualcriticism] Re: Aleppo Codex images Greetings All:

                  I have not yet looked closely at the Aleppo images, what I have seen looks good. In downloading the zipped files from “mr. scriveners” web address, I noticed that the files and image numbers do not start at the beginning. The first file I have is number 04 and has images 151-200. Is this the extent of the images; or are they a complete set?

                  Kent

                  Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                  Associate Professor of Religious Studies
                  Department of Religious Studies
                  Seal-Kap House
                  Trinity Western University
                  7600 Glover Road
                  Langley, BC
                  V2Y 1Y1
                  Canada

                  --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com <mailto:textualcriticism%40yahoogroups.com> , dwashbur@... wrote:

                  > On 24 May 2006 at 0:51, mr.scrivener wrote:

                  [snip]
                  > > And don't say 'mattress' to Mr. Lambert or we'll all have to get
                  into
                  > >                                               the fishtank and sing.
                  >
                  > :-) That one took a second.  And when he says "two feet" he actually
                  means "sixty feet"...

                • mr.scrivener
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 14, 2006
                    This reflects the limited space my friend had available, and the huge
                    size of the files.
                    There is a method to the madness: I have left those up which would be
                    missing from the collection that someone might have accumulated by
                    following the various suggestions for downloading etc. on TClist and
                    elsewhere. The numbers in various directories 'run out' or have
                    lacuna in their sequences. I have collected the whole set by
                    separately exploring various folders and downloading what could be
                    found. This is why some images are lower resolution than others.

                    I will leave up the files there as long as I can, (till everyone who
                    wants copies gets them) and then I will delete those and upload the
                    first three (pages 1-150). This should give you the whole set.

                    If you are downloading the files, please post a reply indicating you
                    have finished downloading. When enough people have had a chance to
                    download, I will post the first three files.

                    Alternately, someone could host the other three files, and then I
                    could leave up these for a longer period.

                    I hope this helps,
                    Eeyore

                    --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, Kent Clarke <kentc@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Greetings All:
                    >
                    > I have not yet looked closely at the Aleppo images, what I have
                    seen looks
                    > good. In downloading the zipped files from ³mr. scriveners² web
                    address, I
                    > noticed that the files and image numbers do not start at the
                    beginning. The
                    > first file I have is number 04 and has images 151-200. Is this the
                    extent of
                    > the images; or are they a complete set?
                    >
                    > Kent
                    >

                    > Kent D. Clarke (Ph.D. Bristol)
                    > Associate Professor of Religious Studies
                    > Department of Religious Studies
                    > Seal-Kap House
                    > Trinity Western University
                    > 7600 Glover Road
                    > Langley, BC
                    > V2Y 1Y1
                    > Canada
                    >

                    > On 6/10/06 12:27 AM, "mr.scrivener" <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > For what its worth, I've put the images into zip files.
                    > > Someone lent me some space to put them up.
                    > > They are much easier to deal with like this.
                    > > You can download four files at a time from Internet Exploder.
                    (this
                    > > won't slow down the download, but will actually speed it up).
                    While one
                    > > is downloading, click on another.
                    > > Just click on the files in the directory.
                    > > These files take up a lot of space, and my friend may make me
                    take them
                    > > down again shortly, so take them if you need them now:
                    > >
                    > > http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/
                    > >
                    > > --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com

                    > > [snip]
                    > > into
                    and sing.

                    > > means "sixty feet"...

                  • mr.scrivener
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 1, 2006
                      Okay I have deleted the other files and I am uploading the first
                      three zip files. These are about 80 meg each, so have patience: You
                      can right-click and download all three at once to save time, once
                      they are all uploaded. The first zipfile (pages 0-50) is already up.

                      Again the link is:
                      http://cadesign.webworkercanada.com/ALEPPO/

                      Have fun!
                      Eeyore.

                      P.S. I'm trying to secure copies of the Leningrad mss also, if anyone
                      is interested.

                      <mr.scrivener@...> wrote:

                      > This reflects the limited space my friend had available, and the
                      huge
                      > size of the files.
                      > There is a method to the madness: I have left those up which would
                      be
                      > missing from the collection that someone might have accumulated by
                      > following the various suggestions for downloading etc. on TClist
                      and
                      > elsewhere. The numbers in various directories 'run out' or have
                      > lacuna in their sequences. I have collected the whole set by
                      > separately exploring various folders and downloading what could be
                      > found. This is why some images are lower resolution than others.
                      >
                      > I will leave up the files there as long as I can, (till everyone
                      who
                      > wants copies gets them) and then I will delete those and upload the
                      > first three (pages 1-150). This should give you the whole set.
                      >
                      > If you are downloading the files, please post a reply indicating
                      you
                      > have finished downloading. When enough people have had a chance to
                      > download, I will post the first three files.
                      >
                      > Alternately, someone could host the other three files, and then I
                      > could leave up these for a longer period.
                      >
                      > I hope this helps,
                      > Eeyore

                      > > > [snip]
                      > to get