Forthcoming Bart Ehrman Book

  • John McChesney-Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2005
      A brief mini-review in the latest on-line _Publishers Weekly_ Religious
      BookLine:

      http://www.publishersweekly.com/PWdaily/CA629445.html

      A First Look at the Stars: A Sneak Peek at a Starred Review Coming in PW
      on Monday, August 15

      Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the New Testament and Why
      Bart D. Ehrman. Harper San Francisco, $24.95 (256p) ISBN 0-06-084496-5
      In the absence of any original manuscripts of the books of the New
      Testament, how can we be sure that we're getting the intended words and
      meaning? Ehrman, professor of religion at UNC-Chapel Hill, has devoted
      his life to the study of such questions and here offers an engaging and
      fascinating look at the way scholars try to answer them. Part memoir,
      part history, and part critical study, he traces the development of the
      academic discipline called textual criticism, which uses external and
      internal evidence to evaluate and compare ancient manuscripts in order
      to find the best readings. Ehrman points out that scribes altered almost
      all of the manuscripts we now have. His absorbing story, fresh and
      lively prose, and seasoned insights into the challenges of recreating
      the texts of the New Testament ensure that readers might never read the
      Gospels or Paul's letters the same way again. (Nov.)
      --

      *** John McChesney-Young ** panis~at~pacbell.net ** Berkeley,
      California, U.S.A. ***