Re: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_scroll_found

  • Roger Pearse
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck"
      <bucksburg@y...> wrote:
      > It's tempting to jump to conclusions from just 20 letters on 3 lines
      > of text, but the orthography does look 1st century to me.

      Is there an image anywhere online yet?

      > Don't you just hate it when they publish this as real
      > interesting news and don't even bother to stipulate which
      > verses it supposedly is from Leviticus?

      Deeply frustrating -- but it shows how marginal manuscripts really are
      in the modern world. If we want things to be different, we have to
      think of a way to make it so.

      All the best,

      Roger Pearse
    • Jim West
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
        Roger Pearse wrote:

        >--- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck"
        ><bucksburg@y...> wrote:
        >

        >>It's tempting to jump to conclusions from just 20 letters on 3 lines
        >>of text, but the orthography does look 1st century to me.
        >>

        >Is there an image anywhere online yet?

        Several

        Tyler Williams has done a fine job of analysing the photos.

        http://biblical-studies.ca/blog/index.html

        >>Don't you just hate it when they publish this as real
        >>interesting news and don't even bother to stipulate which
        >>verses it supposedly is from Leviticus?
        >>

        >Deeply frustrating -- but it shows how marginal manuscripts really are
        >in the modern world. If we want things to be different, we have to
        >think of a way to make it so.

        You guys should read the biblioblogs. The texts have been discussed,
        analyzed, reproduced, and evaluated there since early yesterday.

        Best

        Jim

        --
        D. Jim West