Re: [textualcriticism] PhD programs in OT text

  • Scott Charlesworth
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
      Leiden University is very strong in this area and offers an online masters level course called Textual Criticism and Textual History of the Old Testament.

      Scott Charlesworth

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
        > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student who is
        > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
        > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

        Doctoral work on the TC of the HB can be pursued at Aberdeen University
        under Joachim Schaper, Lena-Sofia Tiemeyer or myself.

        Best wishes,

        P.J. Williams
      • Daniel Buck
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2005
          "Daniel Buck" wrote:
          > I imagine Josephus is cited [in the TNIV] for Saul's age in I
          Samuel 13:1. That's quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one
          that I know of has ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius
          Africanus, or any historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke
          3:36. Following the text makes no less sense historically in one
          passage than the other, and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05,
          respectively) for omitting both problem passages altogether.>

          I checked into this myself, and my surmising was untrue. The TNIV
          cites Byzantine manuscripts for Saul's age (30), and a textual
          reconstruction for the years of his reign (42)--thus reversing the
          numbers in the original NASB.

          The Qumran scroll 4Q51 has a Hebrew text which seems to underlie the
          LXX in I and II Samuel, but it is deficient before chapter 14, so
          there's no B.C.E. MS evidence for or against the inclusion of I
          Samuel 13:1.

          Likewise, there's no equally ancient evidence for or against the
          inclusion of "Cainan" in Genesis 5:24 (which is presumed to underlie
          Luke 3:36). So the CBT's inequal treatment of these two passages
          serves as a lopsided exception to their general tendency to add to
          the Hebrew and subtract from the Greek.