http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050715/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_scroll_found

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 15, 2005
      " The finding has given rise to hope that the Judean Desert may yield
      more treasures, said Professor Chanan Eshel, an archaeologist from Tel
      Aviv's Bar Ilan University.

      The two small pieces of brown animal skin, inscribed in Hebrew with
      verses from the Book of Leviticus, are from "refugee" caves in Nachal
      Arugot, a canyon near the Dead Sea where Jews hid from the Romans in
      the second century, Eshel said in an interview with The Associated
      Press.

      The scrolls are being tested by Israel's Antiquities Authority."

      It's tempting to jump to conclusions from just 20 letters on 3 lines
      of text, but the orthography does look 1st century to me.

      Don't you just hate it when they publish this as real interesting news
      and don't even bother to stipulate which verses it supposedly is from
      Leviticus?
    • Roger Pearse
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck"
        <bucksburg@y...> wrote:
        > It's tempting to jump to conclusions from just 20 letters on 3 lines
        > of text, but the orthography does look 1st century to me.

        Is there an image anywhere online yet?

        > Don't you just hate it when they publish this as real
        > interesting news and don't even bother to stipulate which
        > verses it supposedly is from Leviticus?

        Deeply frustrating -- but it shows how marginal manuscripts really are
        in the modern world. If we want things to be different, we have to
        think of a way to make it so.

        All the best,

        Roger Pearse
      • Jim West
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 16, 2005
          Roger Pearse wrote:

          >--- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel Buck"
          ><bucksburg@y...> wrote:
          >

          >>It's tempting to jump to conclusions from just 20 letters on 3 lines
          >>of text, but the orthography does look 1st century to me.
          >>

          >Is there an image anywhere online yet?

          Several

          Tyler Williams has done a fine job of analysing the photos.

          http://biblical-studies.ca/blog/index.html

          >>Don't you just hate it when they publish this as real
          >>interesting news and don't even bother to stipulate which
          >>verses it supposedly is from Leviticus?
          >>

          >Deeply frustrating -- but it shows how marginal manuscripts really are
          >in the modern world. If we want things to be different, we have to
          >think of a way to make it so.

          You guys should read the biblioblogs. The texts have been discussed,
          analyzed, reproduced, and evaluated there since early yesterday.

          Best

          Jim

          --
          D. Jim West