Re: PhD programs in OT text

  • mjriii2003
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
      Dear Ron,

      Off the top of my head either Westminster Theological Seminary in
      Philadelphia, PA or Georg August Universitaet zu Goettingen, Germany.

      At either institution knowledge of the original languages and
      independent research will be required. The philosophy of education
      however will be different. In Germany one must make an original
      contribution to knowledge with no time limit while in America usually
      ten years to complete degree and the ability to due extensive
      research is required. In Germany one's Doktorvater is the one to
      whom the student is accountable; in America it is usually course
      completions with some oversight from the OT department. Extensive
      department examines in related fields will be required at either and
      a comprehensive integrated examine at the end. In addition, at
      Goettingen, a pledge to defend the historic Christian faith is
      required (or at least was when I was there).

      Cordially in Jesus,

      Malcolm

      PS When are you going to UA?
      __________________

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Minton, Ron" <rminton@b...>
      wrote:
      > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student
      who is
      > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
      > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

      > Hi Dr. Minton,
      >

      > Hopefully you are still getting emails at this address. I recently
      did a
      > quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number of times non-Hebrew
      > sources are cited for variant readings. I got the following totals:
      >

      > LXX: 313 times
      >
      > Syriac: 116 times
      >
      > Vulgate: 76 times
      >
      > Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times
      >
      > Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times
      >
      > "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15
      times

      > Targum: 12 times
      >
      > "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times
      >
      > Aquila: 7 times
      >
      > Symmachus: 2 times
      >
      > Theodotion: 2 times
      >
      > Old Latin: 2 times
      >
      > Arabic: 2 times
      >
      > Josephus: 1 time

      > I was just thinking about exploring Ph.D. programs where I could do
      work
      > in OT text criticism. Any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Steven Anderson
    • Daniel Buck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
        Ron Minton quoted:
        <<< I recently did a quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number
        of times non-Hebrew sources are cited for variant readings. I got
        the following totals:

        LXX: 313 times

        Syriac: 116 times

        Vulgate: 76 times

        Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times

        Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times

        "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15 imes
        Targum: 12 times
        "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times
        Aquila: 7 times
        Symmachus: 2 times
        Theodotion: 2 times
        Old Latin: 2 times
        Arabic: 2 times
        Josephus: 1 time>>>

        I'd like to see the verse citations for these last few.

        Jean, what do you think of Arabic as a source reading for an English
        translation? Obviously, the oldest Arabic MSS isn't any older than
        our earliest copies of the MT.

        I imagine Josephus is cited for Saul's age in I Samuel 13:1. That's
        quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one that I know of has
        ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius Africanus, or any
        historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke 3:36. Following the
        text makes no less sense historically in one passage than the other,
        and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05, respectively) for
        omitting both problem passages altogether.

        One thing that would make modern English version textual notes much
        more useful would be to specify the MS behind a reading. Most of the
        time in the NT it's going to be either 01 or 03, or both (02 in
        Revelation). In the LXX it's going to be 02 or 03 almost every time.
        In the space that it takes to print "Other ancient authorities add"
        or "the earliest and best manuscripts omit" you could just cite the
        MSS themselves most of the time.

        In the NT, the weight given to 01 02 03 04 is such that no other MSS
        would ever need to be cited beyond these.

        Can anyone think of a reading cited in the margin of any English NT
        that would be based on any Greek MSS other than those 4?

        Daniel Buck
      • Scott Charlesworth
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
          Leiden University is very strong in this area and offers an online masters level course called Textual Criticism and Textual History of the Old Testament.

          Scott Charlesworth

          I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student who is academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work.  Can anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

          ……………………

          Hi Dr. Minton,

          Hopefully you are still getting emails at this address. I recently did a quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number of times non-Hebrew sources are cited for variant readings. I got the following totals:

          LXX: 313 times

          Syriac: 116 times

          Vulgate: 76 times

          Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times

          Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times

          "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15 times

          Targum: 12 times

          "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times

          Aquila: 7 times

          Symmachus: 2 times

          Theodotion: 2 times

          Old Latin: 2 times

          Arabic: 2 times

          Josephus: 1 time

          …………..

          I was just thinking about exploring Ph.D. programs where I could do work in OT text criticism. Any ideas?

          Thanks,

          Steven Anderson

        • Dr P.J. Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
            > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student who is
            > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
            > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

            Doctoral work on the TC of the HB can be pursued at Aberdeen University
            under Joachim Schaper, Lena-Sofia Tiemeyer or myself.

            Best wishes,

            P.J. Williams
          • Daniel Buck
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2005
              "Daniel Buck" wrote:
              > I imagine Josephus is cited [in the TNIV] for Saul's age in I
              Samuel 13:1. That's quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one
              that I know of has ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius
              Africanus, or any historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke
              3:36. Following the text makes no less sense historically in one
              passage than the other, and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05,
              respectively) for omitting both problem passages altogether.>

              I checked into this myself, and my surmising was untrue. The TNIV
              cites Byzantine manuscripts for Saul's age (30), and a textual
              reconstruction for the years of his reign (42)--thus reversing the
              numbers in the original NASB.

              The Qumran scroll 4Q51 has a Hebrew text which seems to underlie the
              LXX in I and II Samuel, but it is deficient before chapter 14, so
              there's no B.C.E. MS evidence for or against the inclusion of I
              Samuel 13:1.

              Likewise, there's no equally ancient evidence for or against the
              inclusion of "Cainan" in Genesis 5:24 (which is presumed to underlie
              Luke 3:36). So the CBT's inequal treatment of these two passages
              serves as a lopsided exception to their general tendency to add to
              the Hebrew and subtract from the Greek.