PhD programs in OT text

  • Minton, Ron
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005

      I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student who is academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work.  Can anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

      ……………………

      Hi Dr. Minton,

      Hopefully you are still getting emails at this address. I recently did a quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number of times non-Hebrew sources are cited for variant readings. I got the following totals:

      LXX: 313 times

      Syriac: 116 times

      Vulgate: 76 times

      Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times

      Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times

      "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15 times

      Targum: 12 times

      "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times

      Aquila: 7 times

      Symmachus: 2 times

      Theodotion: 2 times

      Old Latin: 2 times

      Arabic: 2 times

      Josephus: 1 time

      …………..

      I was just thinking about exploring Ph.D. programs where I could do work in OT text criticism. Any ideas?

      Thanks,

      Steven Anderson

    • mjriii2003
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
        Dear Ron,

        Off the top of my head either Westminster Theological Seminary in
        Philadelphia, PA or Georg August Universitaet zu Goettingen, Germany.

        At either institution knowledge of the original languages and
        independent research will be required. The philosophy of education
        however will be different. In Germany one must make an original
        contribution to knowledge with no time limit while in America usually
        ten years to complete degree and the ability to due extensive
        research is required. In Germany one's Doktorvater is the one to
        whom the student is accountable; in America it is usually course
        completions with some oversight from the OT department. Extensive
        department examines in related fields will be required at either and
        a comprehensive integrated examine at the end. In addition, at
        Goettingen, a pledge to defend the historic Christian faith is
        required (or at least was when I was there).

        Cordially in Jesus,

        Malcolm

        PS When are you going to UA?
        __________________

        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Minton, Ron" <rminton@b...>
        wrote:
        > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student
        who is
        > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
        > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

        > Hi Dr. Minton,
        >

        > Hopefully you are still getting emails at this address. I recently
        did a
        > quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number of times non-Hebrew
        > sources are cited for variant readings. I got the following totals:
        >

        > LXX: 313 times
        >
        > Syriac: 116 times
        >
        > Vulgate: 76 times
        >
        > Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times
        >
        > Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times
        >
        > "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15
        times

        > Targum: 12 times
        >
        > "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times
        >
        > Aquila: 7 times
        >
        > Symmachus: 2 times
        >
        > Theodotion: 2 times
        >
        > Old Latin: 2 times
        >
        > Arabic: 2 times
        >
        > Josephus: 1 time

        > I was just thinking about exploring Ph.D. programs where I could do
        work
        > in OT text criticism. Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Steven Anderson
      • mjriii2003
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005

          wrote:
          > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student
          who is
          > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
          > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

          > Hi Dr. Minton,
          >

          > Hopefully you are still getting emails at this address. I recently
          did a
          > quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number of times non-Hebrew
          > sources are cited for variant readings. I got the following totals:
          >

          > LXX: 313 times
          >
          > Syriac: 116 times
          >
          > Vulgate: 76 times
          >
          > Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times
          >
          > Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times
          >
          > "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15
          times

          > Targum: 12 times
          >
          > "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times
          >
          > Aquila: 7 times
          >
          > Symmachus: 2 times
          >
          > Theodotion: 2 times
          >
          > Old Latin: 2 times
          >
          > Arabic: 2 times
          >
          > Josephus: 1 time

          > I was just thinking about exploring Ph.D. programs where I could do
          work
          > in OT text criticism. Any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Steven Anderson
        • Daniel Buck
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
            Ron Minton quoted:
            <<< I recently did a quick survey of the TNIV, and found the number
            of times non-Hebrew sources are cited for variant readings. I got
            the following totals:

            LXX: 313 times

            Syriac: 116 times

            Vulgate: 76 times

            Dead Sea Scrolls: 42 times

            Samaritan Pentateuch: 21 times

            "Probable reading of the original Hebrew text" (conjecture): 15 imes
            Targum: 12 times
            "An ancient Hebrew scribal tradition" (Qere): 8 times
            Aquila: 7 times
            Symmachus: 2 times
            Theodotion: 2 times
            Old Latin: 2 times
            Arabic: 2 times
            Josephus: 1 time>>>

            I'd like to see the verse citations for these last few.

            Jean, what do you think of Arabic as a source reading for an English
            translation? Obviously, the oldest Arabic MSS isn't any older than
            our earliest copies of the MT.

            I imagine Josephus is cited for Saul's age in I Samuel 13:1. That's
            quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one that I know of has
            ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius Africanus, or any
            historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke 3:36. Following the
            text makes no less sense historically in one passage than the other,
            and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05, respectively) for
            omitting both problem passages altogether.

            One thing that would make modern English version textual notes much
            more useful would be to specify the MS behind a reading. Most of the
            time in the NT it's going to be either 01 or 03, or both (02 in
            Revelation). In the LXX it's going to be 02 or 03 almost every time.
            In the space that it takes to print "Other ancient authorities add"
            or "the earliest and best manuscripts omit" you could just cite the
            MSS themselves most of the time.

            In the NT, the weight given to 01 02 03 04 is such that no other MSS
            would ever need to be cited beyond these.

            Can anyone think of a reading cited in the margin of any English NT
            that would be based on any Greek MSS other than those 4?

            Daniel Buck
          • Scott Charlesworth
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
              Leiden University is very strong in this area and offers an online masters level course called Textual Criticism and Textual History of the Old Testament.

              Scott Charlesworth

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 20, 2005
                > I just received the note below (partial) from a previous student who is
                > academically oriented and, I feel, is qualified to do PhD work. Can
                > anyone recommend some schools that fit his interest?

                Doctoral work on the TC of the HB can be pursued at Aberdeen University
                under Joachim Schaper, Lena-Sofia Tiemeyer or myself.

                Best wishes,

                P.J. Williams
              • Daniel Buck
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2005
                  "Daniel Buck" wrote:
                  > I imagine Josephus is cited [in the TNIV] for Saul's age in I
                  Samuel 13:1. That's quite inconsistent in my opinion, since no one
                  that I know of has ever followed the reading of Josephus, Julius
                  Africanus, or any historian for the name of Salah's father in Luke
                  3:36. Following the text makes no less sense historically in one
                  passage than the other, and there's ancient evidence (02 03 and 05,
                  respectively) for omitting both problem passages altogether.>

                  I checked into this myself, and my surmising was untrue. The TNIV
                  cites Byzantine manuscripts for Saul's age (30), and a textual
                  reconstruction for the years of his reign (42)--thus reversing the
                  numbers in the original NASB.

                  The Qumran scroll 4Q51 has a Hebrew text which seems to underlie the
                  LXX in I and II Samuel, but it is deficient before chapter 14, so
                  there's no B.C.E. MS evidence for or against the inclusion of I
                  Samuel 13:1.

                  Likewise, there's no equally ancient evidence for or against the
                  inclusion of "Cainan" in Genesis 5:24 (which is presumed to underlie
                  Luke 3:36). So the CBT's inequal treatment of these two passages
                  serves as a lopsided exception to their general tendency to add to
                  the Hebrew and subtract from the Greek.