Three questions on the fixity of readings

  • Daniel Buck
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 12:26 PM
      I'd like to resurrect a question from the t-c list, to find out what
      is the present state of the GNT textual situation, as compared to
      how Bob Waltz described it 9 years ago, as follows:
      >>On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Don Wilkins wrote:
      >I've received a question that you can answer more easily than I.
      What(if any) manuscripts found during the past 25 years have been
      incorporated into the apparati of Nestle or GNT, and have any of
      these led to changes in the text? <

      Bob replied:
      Since you didn't give an exact date, it's hard to answer this
      precisely. But the last *major* papyrus, p75, was discovered well
      before this. You're talking about papyri from about p80, uncials
      from perhaps 255, and minuscules in the high 2600s and up.

      It will be noted that, though NA27 cites these papyri and uncials,
      none of these minuscules are cited in any of the major editions.
      Also, the basic UBS text was determined in the mid-Sixties, and has
      not changed since then. So recent discoveries have not changed it.
      Chances are, though, that the recent discoveries would not have had
      any effect. The papyri discovered since p75 have all been short.
      There have been some substantial uncials (0278 springs
      to mind), but they are late and not especially valuable. And who
      pays any attention to minuscules?
      Bob Waltz >>>

      The three questions:
      1) Is the text of the latest editions of UBS and NA still identical
      to the text established in the mid-Sixties?

      2) Are the textual changes made to the texts of the three editions
      of the English NT released by the IBS for the US market since it
      took on the task in the mid-Sixties (1973--1984--2001) reflective of
      ms discoveries made since then, or is this just a matter of marginal
      readings trading places with the text?

      3) Do readings from the recently discovered "early" uncial palimpset
      of Mark 3 & 6 qualify as "valuable" for purposes of mention in NA28
      or UBS5?