Origen

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
      >> Not even Origen was really interested in preserving a pure line
      >> of the NT text.
      >
      > What makes you say that?

      This is my impression from what I have read from Origen. Just take the fact that he used a different text in Caesarea without complaining. He of course is interested in variant readings, but his discussion of variants is quite different from ours.
      Of course we don't know for sure: We have NO INDICATION that Origen was really interested in preserving a pure line of the NT text. Perhaps he was interested and we just don't know.

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • Frederick
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
        --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"
        <willker@c...> wrote:
        > >> Not even Origen was really interested in preserving a pure line
        > >> of the NT text.
        > >
        > > What makes you say that?
        >

        > This is my impression from what I have read from Origen. Just take
        >the fact that he used a different text in Caesarea without
        >complaining.

        What do we know about what text he used in Caesaria?

        > He of course is interested in variant readings, but his discussion
        >of variants is quite different from ours.

        Because he doesn't use modern text critical insight? Which of the
        ancients did?

        > Of course we don't know for sure: We have NO INDICATION that
        >Origen was really interested in preserving a pure line of the NT
        >text. Perhaps he was interested and we just don't know.

        Well, we don't really have any insight about any of the ancients do
        we? Why did you single out Origen?
      • Tony Zbaraschuk
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
          On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 07:49:17AM -0000, Frederick wrote:
          > > He of course is interested in variant readings, but his discussion
          > >of variants is quite different from ours.
          >
          > Because he doesn't use modern text critical insight? Which of the
          > ancients did?

          ISTR that the classical Alexandrian scholars managed rather a lot
          of textual studies, though perhaps not with the full modern
          apparatus (then again, they working on Homer rather than the Bible).

          In the medieval period, Lupus of Ferrieres gathered and noted
          textual variants, though you'd probably have to compare him to
          (say) a very junior version of Jeremy Bentham, rather than
          Lachmann or Westcott.

          Tony Z

          --
          Reading bad criticism is, of course, like reading Basque
          computer manuals while chewing broken glass, only less useful.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2005
            > In the medieval period, Lupus of Ferrieres gathered and noted
            > textual variants, though you'd probably have to compare him to
            > (say) a very junior version of Jeremy Bentham, rather than
            > Lachmann or Westcott.

            IMHO you mean Richard Bentley not Jeremy Bentham.

            Andrew Criddle