new Sappho poem

  • Stephen Goranson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2005
      A new Sappho poem, partly from Oxyrhyncus papyri, partly from mummy cartonage:
      http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.aspx?story_id=2111206

      Stephen Goranson
    • James Spinti
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
        There is a copy of the Greek on this blog:

        http://glaukopidos.blogspot.com/

        Thanks,

        James Spinti
        Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
        Eisenbrauns, Good books for 30 years
        jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
        Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
        Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226
        Fax: 574-269-6788

        A new Sappho poem, partly from Oxyrhyncus papyri, partly from mummy
        cartonage: http://www.the-tls.co.uk/this_week/story.aspx?story_id=2111206

        Stephen Goranson

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Lampros F. Kallenos
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 27, 2005
          Also see:

          <http://www.methymna.com/ptrourke/newsappho.html>http://www.methymna.com/ptrourke/newsappho.html

          ________________________
          Lampros F. Kallenos "...EKANAN OISTRO THS ZWHS
          Idalion, Lefkosia TO FOBO TOU QANATOU"
          Kypros
          --
        • C. Stirling Bartholomew
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 28, 2005
            The text of the "new" Sappho poem looks remarkably similar to Work 1
            fragment #58 from the TLG-E.

            9 SAPPHO
            Work 1: Fragmenta, ed. E. Lobel and D.L. Page, Poetarum Lesbiorum
            fragmenta. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1955 (repr. 1968 (1st edn. corr.)): 2,
            5-68, 70-103, 108-110. frr. 1-88, 90-192, 210-211, 213. (Pap: 5,740: Lyr.)

            I have not seen the full text of the TLS article. I assume what we have here
            is well known fragment which has been deciphered using new technology.
            Correct?

            Clay Bartholomew