Rennes le Chateau and Codex Bezae - Update

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
      Recently I discovered that the text of "parchment 1" of the Rennes le chateau hoax has been copied from codex Bezae (see msg. # 311).

      I have contacted Jean Luc Chaumeil and he told me that the text has been taken from:

      "Dictionnaire de la Bible"
      Tome 1: A-B
      Editor: F. Viouroux, Paris, 1895

      I have looked this up and found exactly the page of Codex Bezae Luke 6:1-9 reproduced as a facsimile between columns 1768 and 1769, as fig. 540, where the entry for "Bezae (Codex)" begins.

      http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Rennes/index.html

      I think at least this case is now closed (for me).
      Oops, I almost forgot to mention the Da Vinci Code!

      mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
    • malcolm robertson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 24, 2005
        Dear Wieland,

        Nice job!  The nail is well embeded in the coffin.  Now we just need to refer more people to the site.

        Cordially in Christ,

        Malcolm

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • K. Martin Heide
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 25, 2005
          Wieland Willker wrote:
          Recently I discovered that the text of "parchment 1" of the Rennes le chateau hoax has been copied from codex Bezae (see msg. # 311).

          I have contacted Jean Luc Chaumeil and he told me that the text has been taken from:

          "Dictionnaire de la Bible"
          Tome 1: A-B
          Editor: F. Viouroux, Paris, 1895

          You mean  Fulcran   Vigouroux,  of course, do you?

          Martin
          I have looked this up and found exactly the page of Codex Bezae Luke 6:1-9 reproduced as a facsimile between columns 1768 and 1769, as fig. 540, where the entry for "Bezae (Codex)" begins.

          http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/Rennes/index.html

          I think at least this case is now closed (for me).
          Oops, I almost forgot to mention the Da Vinci Code!

        • Daniel Buck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
            It now turns out this information was first revealed in April.
            http://priory-of-sion.com/posd/upjune2005.html
            --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "Wieland Willker"

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 27, 2005
              Daniel Buck wrote:
              > It now turns out this information was first revealed in
              > April.
              > http://priory-of-sion.com/posd/upjune2005.html

              This is correct and I got the info from Chaumeil already in April, but it took me that long to track down the volume in a library.
              It is interesting that it has been revealed by Chaumeil just now (on TV in April). I have been told that he was under professional(?) discretion and that it ends this year (March?). He announced to publish what he knows about the hoax in a book by the end of the year.

              mailto:willker@...-bremen.de