8341Re: [SPAM] [textualcriticism] Re: Question about Greek MSS written in Latin letters

  • Daniel B. Wallace
    Jul 7, 2014
      Dear dr Wallace,

      I have approved your message, but suggest that is more proper for a private message than a group communication.

      Best regards,

      Wim

      Thanks--to both of you!

      On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:28:05 +0300, "Daniel King dan_king@... [textualcriticism]" wrote:

      > If you are keeping a list of biblical mss that use a writing system different from the language, then there were a few other combinations used in the east, such as Armenian in Syriac script, and Sogdian in Syriac script, mss of which include a psalter, I believe. There was recently a small conference on the topic even! Details here:
      > http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/hugoye/hugoye-conference/541.html http://www.bethmardutho.org/index.php/hugoye/hugoye-conference/541.html
      >
      > And this article may be of use:
      > George Kiraz, Garshunography: Terminology and Some Formal Properties of Writing One Language in the Script
      > of Another’ in J. den Heijer, A. Schmidt, and T. Pataridze (eds.), Scripts beyond Borders. A Survey of
      > Allographic Traditions in the Euro-Mediterranean World (Louvain: Peeters, 2014).
      >
      > And perhaps other articles in the same volume
      >
      > regards
      > Dan
      >
      > Dr. Wallace,
      >
      > The sort of manuscript you mention was unknown to me, but I'll add it to the list of biblical transliterations I'm compiling:
      > - Arabic written in Syriac script (Garshuni)
      > - Arabic written in Aramaic script (Judeo-Arabic)
      > - Berber written in Aramaic script (Judeo-Berber) --of which I own an inscription of unknown date
      > - Hebrew written in Aramaic script (square letter--which became the Hebrew standard)
      > - Egyptian written in Greek script (which became the Coptic standard)
      > - Turkish written in Greek script
      > - Turkish written in Armenian script
      >
      > Daniel Buck

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic