8318Fwd: 1 Samuel 13:1

  • jovial1000
    May 19, 2014
      (((((((

      That may work in English, but as far as I know the way to express age in OT Hebrew is always 'the son/daughter of ___ years."

      )))))))))))

      I'm well aware of that, but perhaps I need to give the longer form explanation to make what I was trying to say clear.

      Let's suppose the text starts out as "son of forty two years" and a scribe shortens it to "son of 42 years", writing "42" as a number.  In Hebrew, we'd have...
      בן בן" שנה
      The next scribe omits the ", leaving
      בן בן שנה
      The next scribe might have considered the "בן" redudant, and shortened it to
      בן  שנה
      particularly since numbers are usually written out in long form in Hebrew in Scripture, rather than short form as letters.  In other words, this could be an example of why numbers SHOULD be written out in long form on a normal basis; to avoid that kind of confusion.

      It is also possible that the number was simply dropped, however, the omission of a number is rather glaring here and not an easy one to miss if one is thinking about what one is writing.  Since the number 42 fits, I still wonder about the possibility.  That is the essence of what I was trying to say.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic