      From: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com [mailto:textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tom630965
      Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:29 PM
      To: textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [textualcriticism] Marcion's Gospel

      It does seem to me that you are conflating two propositions: that Marcion had access to a different (and maybe earlier) Luke text from that transmitted as canonical Luke; and that Tertullian and Irenaeus were mistaken in accusing Marcion of circulating a cut-down version of Luke. Marcion's gospel could as easily be a cut-down version of your hypothetical Luke(A), as of canonical Luke. Hence, even if we suppose that Marcion had access to a Luke(A), that is no reason to suppose that Luke(A) must have lacked chapters 1, 2 & 3 before Marcion did his business on it. Can you suggest any independent evidence to support your view that Marcion is trustworthy in his account of his method, and Tertullian is not?

      --- In textualcriticism@yahoogroups.com, "David Inglis" <davidinglis2@...> wrote:
      > I have not anywhere suggested that Marcion was the source of Luke’s Gospel, not do I believe it. What I (and others) are suggesting is that Marcion had access to a shorter version of Lk that pre-dates canonical Lk (e.g. LkA), and promoted that is being the ‘original’ version of that gospel. How, when, and where, Marcion came across it is of course unknown.
      > David Inglis, Lafayette, CA, 94549, USA

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic